Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Would I be considered to have an eating disorder?

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

In highschool, I would not eat breakfast, or lunch, or anything until after school. The act of walking to my locker up one flight of stairs, would cause me to be so dizzy I would almost black out and have to brace myself on my locker so as not to pass out. I often did not eat until 3, or 5 or so during the day. When I came to university, it got worse. I would often say that if I had a test the next day or something, I would not eat, because my excuse was that it took too much time so I would study instead of eating. I would again, skip breakfast, and skip meals during the day. Visiting home over Christmas my first year, I don't remember earing at all while I was home (I am aware I must have, but I didn't eat enough to remember even eating while I was there). My friends started noticing that I was not eating enough. I had morning labs, and so I would wake up late, not have time to eat breakfast, when I got to lab, the pain of hunger came, then left, then came back again. I would often think to myself, do I really want to eat, or I can just wait for the hunger to go away. I went from just skipping meals and not eating enough, to not wanting to eat. I was actively cutting back on the food I was eating, and challenging myself to see how long I could go without eating something, or without needing to have a "snack" (snack = a few crackers or something).I had to fast for bloodwork, and because of thatI did not want to eat after. One friend had to argue with me to put a banana in my bag to have so I didn't pass out . I had a few crackers in my class, and then got home. My friend was at my house cause they had stayed over the night before  looked at me because it was lunch time. I curled up on the couch and cried because I did not want to eat anything. As soon as things got bad, I would cut down on fod intake to not feel, and not think. Less food =less concentration on family=more concentration on school=better understanding=better grades=parents off my back.
I would not venture to diagnose you without seeing you for a comprehensive eating disorder evaluation.  You focused primarily on skipping meals, eating less and not wanting to eat at all.  There are many other factors that go into understanding whether a person has an eating disorder or not.  You could seek out an eating disorder specialist in your area and have an evaluation.   In addition, to learn more about eating disorders and to take an eating disorder survey, you could visit the bella vita website.   Wishing you the best, Patricia Pitts, PhD  The Bella Vita Los Angeles, CA