Eating Disorders Expert Forum
controling emotional eating of sweets

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

controling emotional eating of sweets

I have had an emotional eating problem for a year or so.  It gets increasingly worse with time.  Last month my boyfriend broke up with me, and I ate ice cream everyday for three weeks straight.  I know it was terrible, and I always feel guilty afterwords.  When I was weighed at the doctor today, I have gained six pounds.  Normally my weight ranges between 128-132.  This is the most significant weight gain I've had all year. It probably doesn't seem like a lot, but I am starting to notice it on my body as well.

I really want to overcome my emotional eating because it is tearring me apart.  I try to exercise but I have trouble staying motivated and dedicated.  I don't have very good endurance, so running is tough for me.  Besides my lack of dedication, when I actually do feel like exercising, I walk away feeling worse.  I have transform migraines that occur everyday and the pain prevents me from doing a lot of physical activities.  After working out my head feels like it's going to explode.

I am headed off to college this fall and would really like some advice on how to stop my emotional eating and lose weight while busy in college.  thanks!
You are absolutely right to do something about this right now before it becomes a bigger problem.  there will always be stress in your life of various kinds, and when you eat to make yourself feel better you will always end up feeling worse, and fat, and then fatter still.   You can learn better ways of dealing with stress and getting rid of this early addiction to food as relief and reward...either read my book on the subject or go take the online program at shrinkyourself.com...this is something you can't easily do  alone, there are often deeper roots that online an organized step by step program can get too.