Eating Disorders Expert Forum
wellbutrin and phentermine or sibutramine

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Hello Dr,
I'd like to know if i can take wellbutrin together with adipex or meridia.
I have been taking wellbutrin for depression and also quit smoking .
but I still would like to help myself with some extra weight that I carry and I'm afraid to keep gaining.
could you let me know if it's possible to have the two pills together?
thanks
I think that is a potentially dangerous combination because wellbutrin effects some of the same brain chemicals as those two medications. If you want to control your weight, learn about emotional eating and what you can do to stop it without medications, but with insights that will last a lifetime..  Here is some additional warning info re meridia

Meridia is indicated for people who need to lose 30 pounds or more depending on height, and should be used in conjunction with a reduced-calorie diet.
Meridia is not for everyone, including people who are allergic to any of the ingredients of Meridia, those with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, or who are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) or weight loss medications to control your appetite.
Meridia substantially increases blood pressure or heart rate in some patients and should not be given to patients with uncontrolled or poorly controlled hypertension, history of heart disease, stroke, severe liver or kidney disease, pregnant women or nursing mothers. Meridia should be used cautiously in patients with a history of hypertension, glaucoma, seizures, or mild to moderate kidney disease. All patients being treated with Meridia should see their doctor as directed for regular monitoring of blood pressure and heart rate.
It is important that you tell your healthcare provider about all current and past medical problems. Do not take other medicines with Meridia unless your doctor has told you that it is okay to do so. Talk to your doctor about all medications (including prescriptions for depression, and those which may increase risk of bleeding), over-the-counter medicines, such as cough and cold, and herbal products that you are currently taking or have recently taken.
Meridia is a controlled substance (CIV). This means that Meridia can be a target for people who abuse prescription medicines.
The most common side effects include headache, dry mouth, anorexia, constipation, and insomnia.