Epilepsy Community
Absence seizures

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Absence seizures

I have a 14 month old son he goes Monday back to the neurologist office to see if he is have the seizures, does anyone know of any behavior problems with children having these types or any other types of seizures?  Looking for some help in trying to figure out what poor little guy is going through but he has been getting very frustrated and angry at just about anything I try to do for him.  He is very delayed so he has little to no communication skills at this point other than acting out.

Tired, frustrated and worried
I am so sorry you are going threw this,know that you are not alone in this.

The side effects from the medicines can be very scary,There should be blood work done to keep an eye on him to make sure his blood levels are OK,and that his liver will be OK and to check for other things that could be causing the seizures.

Did you say he can't talk yet,if so this has to be very hard.And even at that age they can't  really tell you how they feel when one come's .

It is very hard to learn due to the seizures and can make you sleepy and also make you do things you don't know you are doing.You can also walk into things.My son has a helmet from the hospital,in case he fall's or walks into something.

There are a lot of different kind of seizures. here are a few of them.

Landau Kleffner syndrome                

Lennox–Gastaut syndrome

There are more but this should give you and idea of what can happen.And yes it is very scary to read them ,
I noticed early on my son was delayed and started getting some help when he was about 6 months old and has made a lot of improvedments.  He has been diagnosed with a condition called "Shudders" when he was about 6 months old, they look like small seizures but there is no seizure activity in the brain he should grow out of that by the time he is 3. Now his ped's doctor notice the absense seizures during an extented illness. Going back for the EEG on the 22nd. I have been reading that pretty much most of the seizures regardless of kind can also come with learning disabilities and delayed development. I've just been worry about what kind of future is my son going to have.  I have 2 much older children and they are actually advanced in school so this is a very new and scary world to me.

Thanks for the information
We got the results back from the neurologist on December 23rd.  He did not say specifically if they are absence seizures but he did say that he is throwing way too many sparks and he started him on Keppra the next day? So far he seems to be having less of them but the ones he is having seem to be lasting longer now.  We have had one great improvement since he started on the medicine, he is now vocalizing before he made very few sounds has not shown any interest or even understanding language now it seems like all of a sudden he is making all kinds of sounds and starting to put different sounds together so I'm hoping to here mama some time soon.
I am so sorry that your little baby is going threw this,and understand how hard it is on you and the family. The absence seizures is the ones that throw people off because you can't tell when one is having a seizure  because there is know sing  of them. that you can see.

we found out that my daughter who is 13 ,is having absence seizures from a video eeg over night stay at the hospital and they said her spikes where all over the place.There where know movements or anything while she was having them ,so they said the only way you can tell she is having them is threw the eeg,witch is how my son started out.The doctors said while they where in the room and couldn't see them until they went and looked at the eeg video and reading.

I am glad you started to get help for him early ,keep staying strong and don't give up hope .I pray a lot for my children and others.It has helped me to deal with all of this.

god bless and keep in touch.