Is it normal to stop breathing during an Absence seizures?
I have been trying to get a diagnosis for my son for 2 years!!!!   It appears to me that he is having several different kinds of seizures.  However an ER dr. told me I was over reacting that he doesn't have epliepsy because people with absence seizures don't stop breathing.  He will have a blank look on his face it turns red and he is not breathing.  He did have an EEG that came back with activity on it but according to him non-eplieptic. This dr. told me not to worry about unless he is not breathing for more than 3 min. That he is not having a seizure.  He has really bad myoclonics  in the morning and at night.  
yes i did when i was a child and sometime still do.i was diagnos with epilepsy around the same age and ive had a number of eeg scans when i was a child.
what the doctor told you in my point of veiw is bang out of order.i it very scary for you and someone to whitness.
the mainthing for you to do is dont panic keep talken to him and keep given him small
shakes and he shoud come round and start breathing.if its ever over 3 min call an amberlance and give him mouth to mouth.
Thank you so much for responding!!  
You are right it is does scare us.  His episodes seem to be getting worse.  He doesn't always stop breathing which I am thankful for. But now he just goes out cold for several minutes at a time (with very shallow breathing).  I took him to the ER in our home town on 3-1-2009 he was having an asthma attack. He had seziure after seizure while we were there. {its an everyday thing now}  The Dr. here witnessed it and tried to wake him up but couldn't we just had to wait it out. We have an appointment with a pedi- neurologist on 3-6-2009 this time a 4 hour trip. I pray we get some answers.