Memory loss and tegretol
Hi, I'm 15 and I was diagnosed with nocturnal partial frontal lobe epilepsy about three months ago. I've noticed my memory has been really bad since about 1 month ago, which has not only affected my school work but also general conversation as I find within a sentence i'l forget a word and spend ages trying to remember it, then failing and attempting to describe the word. It's been so frustrating that i'l hit my head and almost burst into tears. Is there any way to help with memory loss without taking more tablets and medication?
thank you
Claire B
x
After a seizure you always suffer memory loss, and being unable to finish sentence or even jumble it up. I think to be honest check your tegretol leaflet and see if any of the symptoms are listed on it.If memory loss is on it I would recommend trying Keppra (Levetiracetam), it is quite new and has virtually no major side effects. I have been on it since just before christmas, and I feel better and my memory is improved.
The frontal lobe is actually the memory part of your brain, so unfortunately it is inevitable your memory is a tadge unreliable. I can sympathize with you as I have epilepsy, and have done for the past 4 1/2 yrs. The next few months will be hard but you can get through it. Once you are on the correct tablets for epilepsy your life is near the way you were before you had it.
I hope this helps.
Thank you for the advice, I'l ask my doctor about it next time I see him. I've checked the tegretol leaflet and I couldn't see memory loss obviously on the leaflet although if i remember correctly there was a small section on the leaflet referenced it. I forgot that the frontal lode was related to the memory.... If you don't mind me asking, what type of epilepsy do you have? I'm very new to the topic of epilepsy, but now I have it I'm quite interested in it.
One thing i'm finding confusing however, I haven't had a seizure for over 5 months, but is the memory loss from then or just from the area the epilepsy is situated in in my brain?
Many thanks for the advice though
Claire