Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Chronic EBV and Vitamins

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Chronic EBV and Vitamins

Can anyone tell me what vitamins supplements help with chronic EBV symptoms?  The severe body aches come and go but the fatigue never stops.  Is there something that will give me some measurable amount of energy back?

There are a list of treatments for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and several of those treatments use mostly supplements. I know magnesium and B12 (liquid form) are important. Here is the link:

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=181

Warmest Regards,

~PlateletGal

Olive Leaf
Oil of Oregano
L-Lysine

Not promoting any of these as a cure but they supposedly have anti-herpes benefits. Avoid nuts also, as L-Arginine found in nuts, and some other foods, can actually help the herpes virus thrive. I like nuts though and have trouble not eating them -- as the benefit of eating them probably outweighs the benefit of not -- so maybe consider taking L-Lysine to help offset the L-Arginine.

I'm not an expert on this stuff though, so I would suggest Googling this info to help you make the best judgment.
Hi Janet,
I've had CFS, Fibro since 1988 and tried a multitude of supplements.  My doctor is now trying me on a natural sugar...D-ribose.  2 tablespoones 2 times a day with meals.  You may want to check into that.  I've had good results with Natural Noni Juice also but it worked against my IBS, so I had to give it up.  I stay on a good multivitamin as well as additional C, E, B complex and D.  Good luck.  I would like to give you hope, but I've just not found anything that takes all the pain away, nor the fatigue.
I just got diagnosed with reactivated Mono (EBV positive) and am seeing an ND in Seattle that has had good success with putting patients on a supplement protocol.  She says it takes about 2 months but there is a significant difference.  Her name is Carolyn Fuller, ND, and she's located at Bastyr University medical clinic in Seattle.

L-lysine is essential protein that can not be made in the body of animals. Exclusively vegetation as well as microorganisms have the capability to synthetize this really important protein from the aspartic acid. Amino acid lysine is a crucial component of virtually all necessary proteins located in the overall body. It can be present in a minor quantity in cereals, despite the fact that pulses tend to be a major supply of amino lysine. A few significant vegetable sources of amino lysine are usually soybean, well-known beans, lentils, zoysia grass gourd, as well as green spinach. Aside from all these, meats, particularly pork, and additionally chicken, eggs, dairy products and a few seafood including cod and additionally sardines are usually the wealthy sources of amino lysine.
http://www.thevitaminmag.com/benefits-and-side-effects-of-l-lysine/
was just diagnosed with chronic EBV and was told by doctor to find a list of suggested vitamins that would help with the effects of this disease.  I suffer daily with pain in muscles, muscle weakness and tightening of the muscles, cramping of hands and feet, was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, have a high elevation of white blood cells, hashimoto's thyroiditis, frequent headaches and have seen a million doctors that have told me I'm crazy ( in need of a good psychiatrist because the tests are negative for what they think) .  I am exhausted from doctor visits and just want some small relief of my symptoms.  I suffer from MS like symptoms daily, cannot be in water of any type that is to warm because I loose the use of my muscles after I am in it for over 2 minutes.  I haven't had a shower alone in almost 4 years because I don't have the strength to wash my hair and body, and need assistance getting out of the tub.  Please, if you have any suggestions on a site that would offer me a list of vitamins that can relieve some of these symptoms, please let me know.  
Please help yourself by going off all wheat and grains do the selective carb diet first ...make yrself some beef marrow broth from grass eating cows..look up beef marrow broth for health...if you have a crockpot it's very simple ...look into tapping for relief of pain...yes google tapping ...best of luck there is a tapping summit going on now...