Respiratory Symptoms after Exercising
To: prof_mike,

I have experienced the same thing as you have.  Any time I increase my cardio workout and raise my heart rate, I get a cough, sore throat, and my air passages burn.  I too have been telling my doctors this for over a year now.  I have always been physically fit.  I was working out for 1 1/2 hours per day at least 5 days per week.  Anytime I wanted to increase my aerobic activity just slightly I would get the same symptoms.  One day I decided to race a student of mine outside, I was running my fastest.  We ran maybe a 1/4 mile.  The next day, my chest hurt, my voice was scratchy, and I started coughing.  I decided to go to the doctor to show them my symptoms.  They did a chest x-ray, which was clear, and gave me antibiotic, that didn't seem to work.

Finally, I went to the allergy doctor.  He did all of the allergy testing...nothing.  No sign or history of asthma.  Then he decided to give me an asthma test after I had ran for a little while.  Apparently it showed up as asthma.  He diagnosed me with "Exercise Induced Asthma."  He gave me an inhaler to use 15 minutes before exercising.  It seemed to work, but I must admit, I was very discouraged.  I have not been to the gym much at all until recently.  I am now going back and starting off slowly.  I have done water aerobics because the warm moist air is supposed to be better than cool, dry air.  I am slowly going increase my workouts and hope that things go well.  I will keep you posted.  

I hope this was helpful to you.  I don't have all of the fatigue and nausea, just the respiratory symptoms.  My doctors looked at me like I was crazy when I would tell them it was due to exercise.  I may try the probiotics too...why not?
Hi there!

Exercise Induced Asthma that may develop in sensitive individuals usually responds well to anti-asthmatic medications which are typically taken before a work out session. Warm ups before exercise, in stages of increasing intensity; with regular breaks in between is also a better way of working out. Also working out in places with controlled temperature and humidity is advised. The probiotics may or may not be beneficial but would definitely do no harm.

Take care!