Exercise & Fitness Community
Widespread Ankle Tendonitis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Widespread Ankle Tendonitis

Regular runner.  Suddenly after walking at the Zoo in late AugustI develop tendonitis like symptoms in achilles area but higher up near calf muscle.  Ortho tells me it's ok to try to work through on eliptical with some moderate stretching.  The eliptical and stretching actually make it worse and start to cause pain in the front and sides of my ankle so I rest with occasional walk.  Still no improvement.  One day I go for a casual walk lasting about 30 minutes. Next day extreme pain throughout entire ankle including front and sides, calf is cramping, muscles in front and back are sore to the touch but still no pain exactly at the base of the achilles tendonitis.  Some numbness.  EMG done, MRI of lumbar sping done, Neurologist says nothing wrong.  Follow up with Ortho tells me that he does know what the problem is b/c I'm not presenting with classic achilles pain only.  He can't explain pain in front and sides or the pain near the calf.  Aren't there tendons all through the lower leg?  Primary physician has convinced himself that I have fibromylagia (fibromyalgia).  Keeps asking if i'm depressed (duh, my ankles hurt of course it's depressing).  Primary tried six day course of oral steroids, no change.  Ortho referred me to physiatrist.

Is it possible to develop such widespread tendonitis in the ankle? Shouldn't the problem dissipate with rest?  Any ideas?