Exercise & Fitness Community
Widespread Ankle Tendonitis

Our Exercise & Fitness community to help you take charge of your health. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

Widespread Ankle Tendonitis

Regular runner.  Suddenly after walking at the Zoo in late AugustI develop tendonitis like symptoms in achilles area but higher up near calf muscle.  Ortho tells me it's ok to try to work through on eliptical with some moderate stretching.  The eliptical and stretching actually make it worse and start to cause pain in the front and sides of my ankle so I rest with occasional walk.  Still no improvement.  One day I go for a casual walk lasting about 30 minutes. Next day extreme pain throughout entire ankle including front and sides, calf is cramping, muscles in front and back are sore to the touch but still no pain exactly at the base of the achilles tendonitis.  Some numbness.  EMG done, MRI of lumbar sping done, Neurologist says nothing wrong.  Follow up with Ortho tells me that he does know what the problem is b/c I'm not presenting with classic achilles pain only.  He can't explain pain in front and sides or the pain near the calf.  Aren't there tendons all through the lower leg?  Primary physician has convinced himself that I have fibromylagia (fibromyalgia).  Keeps asking if i'm depressed (duh, my ankles hurt of course it's depressing).  Primary tried six day course of oral steroids, no change.  Ortho referred me to physiatrist.

Is it possible to develop such widespread tendonitis in the ankle? Shouldn't the problem dissipate with rest?  Any ideas?
Avatar n tn
Are you icing the area when it hurts, and elevating it ?  Try that for three days, off and on of course. If that is a bit better, do it a bit longer.  Whatever the problem is, rest can help, then very gradual re-use.  After a few days, you can try light heat (never close to hot) to stimulate circulation, again max 20 minutes at a time.

Tendonitis is on movement of a joint.  Does light flexing cause pain ?  Also try some light massage.

I wore leg warmers for two years to help with lower leg cramps.  Night and Day.  Problem eventually cleared up.
drifter0213 commented on advanced niTD
1 hr ago
mishymoshymarcy commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
KeeLolo commented on photo
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine