Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Blurry vision and pain in the right eye after getting hit with a ball

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

During a soccer game, I got hit in the right eye with a ball.  I was wearing contact lenses and when the ball hit my eye, it came out.  Right away, my vision in the right eye got blurry, more than just out of focus, because my contact was out; it was like there was a dense fog right in front of my face.  Anyways, I washed off the eye and went home.  Came home and put some eye drops in, and some lubricant eye ointment.  I also put an eye patch on, just to keep it safe.  Too little to late.  :(
About two hours later, instead of seeing the fog with my right eye, I was able to see silhouettes and colors.  It looks like the vision is getting better, but is still out of focus and the eyeball hurts a bit when I blink or move my right eye from side to side.
Is this a going to heal up, quickly or should I go to the emergency room?
A related discussion, blurred vision resulting from gettin hit in the eye was started.