Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Contact lens ?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Contact lens ?

Ok, through the anonimity of the internet, you can feel free to tell all!

My former eye doc said that there is virtually no difference between the kind of contacts that are recommended for 2 week wear, and other kinds that are for longer use. Said this was a "dirty little secret" of the industry.
He told me that if I take excellent care of them, rubbing to clean (vs using no rub solutions), and otherwise just being vigilant in changing solutions as indictated, that they can last a much longer time.  In fact, I've worn some pairs for a few months this way.  He said that its just the type of approval the manufacturers seek for these lenses.  Obviously, if the lens is damaged I throw them right away, but I'm getting a lot of use out of each pair.  Right now I use Acuvue Advance for Astigmatism, and they are expensive.

My current eye doc is insistent I stop this and wants me to toss each pair after 2 weeks exactly.  He scoffs at the suggestion that they are "virtually the same" as lenses meant for long term use.

So--which is it in YOUR opinion?  If the lens is undamaged, you take good care of them and aren't having any other problems, is it ok to use them for much longer than the 2 weeks they're rated for?  Like a couple of months if all is well?
.
1 Comment
i agree with the second doc.  there is no "dirty little secret".  i dont think your 1st doc is educated enough.

in general "disposable" lenses are thinner and have a higher water content than non-disposables, even if the material is the same or similar.  this is common knowledge...or i thought so.

acuvue advance for astigmatism is ONE OF THE WORST lenses in history to try and "stretch" the wearing time b/c its made of galyfilcon... which is absolutely NOTORIOUS for lipid deposition.  you're losing oxygen transmission over time whether the lens still feels good or not and whether you can see out of it or not.

its a lost cause to tell patients not to "stretch" their lenses.  almost everyone does it.  i am not under the illusion that *my* patients are not stretching their lenses.  i know they are.  but i still advise against it b/c LITERALLY EVERY DAY i see at least 1 patient who has had or is having a negative response to it.  stretching your lenses WILL GET YOU in the short term or in the long run or both.  dont do it.  especially with acuvue advance products.