Double vision in one eye
I recently developed a 'lump' on my eyelid.  My GP says it is a stye or chalazion.

Overnight after my GP visit, I developed double vision in the same eye.  There is a second in-focus image slightly lower and to the right of the main image.  The other night I found that far away lights against the black background were forming almost all of a little triangle (like a Christmas tree, appropriate to the season!).

I visited the optometrist who examined the eye, and told me the overall health of the eye is good (i.e., no macular degeneration).  He wanted to give me glasses, and did not seem interested in the fact that I developed the double vision overnight.

In case its important for you to know, I had LASIK done on both eyes in January 2001, which was very successful and I have had no problems since.

My question is what are the chances that the eyelid problem is the cause of the double vision?  When the stye or chalazion is removed, what are the chances of the double vision going away?

They tell me they cannot do the procedure to correct the stye/chalazion until March (it's December 2 today), so I am in a dilemma over what to do in the meantime.

I have read that warm compresses are something that may help.  Is this is just a question of making a face cloth wet with warm water & putting on the eye?

yes, warm compresses are warm face cloths.  that softens the material inside the chalazion, making it more likely to either erupt and be "expressable", or be resorbed by your body.

no, a chalazion probably cannot ever cause monocular (one eye) double vision.  double vision like you are describing can pretty much only be caused by uncorrected astigmatism (highly likely in your case, and probably the reason your eye doc wanted to write you a glasses rx) or some sort of corneal distortion or degeneration.  it may or may not be related to your surgery in 2001.  i guess you could also have retinal pucker or some other retinal problem, but that usually makes a person's acuity pretty poor and is not easily correctable with a glasses rx, so i kind of doubt this is what is occurring in you b/c your optometrist told you that everything was fine.

you need to go for a second opinion to an optometrist or ophthalmologist who owns a corneal topographer.
My neighbor had Lasik and developed Lasik Induced Keratoconus.

Here's a link-

http://www.crstoday.com/PDF%20Articles/0505/crst0505_f7_Tauber.pdf
A related discussion, Ditto was started.