Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eye weakness and decreased vision
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Eye weakness and decreased vision

I have trouble focusing with my left eye. I cannot hold that eye open when I shut my right eye.  This has been causing pain behind my eye and occosional headaches.  My last eye exam (01/06) revealed that I have 20/20 vision, but I can definitely tell that there is a problem.  Should I be concerned and if so, should I see my regular doctor about this issue?
"I have trouble focusing with my left eye"

you need an eye exam.

"I cannot hold that eye open when I shut my right eye"

thats no big deal.  a lot of people have that "problem".  it is totally benign and unfixable.

"My last eye exam (01/06) revealed that I have 20/20 vision, but I can definitely tell that there is a problem."

having 20/20 doesnt mean anything.  i get into this discussion with patients all the time.  i am physically ABLE to lift 150+ lbs, but that doesnt mean i can carry 150lbs around with me all day.  just b/c you can see "20/20" does not mean that you do not have an eye problem.  if you "have trouble focusing" with one eye, then it makes no difference if you "see 20/20" in that eye or not.  totally irrelevant.

"should I see my regular doctor about this issue?"

w.o sounding too cynical...yes, i guess you *COULD* go see your regualar doctor, but he/she isnt going to be able to tell you much.  you need to be going to some eye doctor who has equipment for testing EYES other than a chart on the back of the exam room door.

Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
05/15 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank