Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eye weakness and decreased vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye weakness and decreased vision

I have trouble focusing with my left eye. I cannot hold that eye open when I shut my right eye.  This has been causing pain behind my eye and occosional headaches.  My last eye exam (01/06) revealed that I have 20/20 vision, but I can definitely tell that there is a problem.  Should I be concerned and if so, should I see my regular doctor about this issue?
"I have trouble focusing with my left eye"

you need an eye exam.

"I cannot hold that eye open when I shut my right eye"

thats no big deal.  a lot of people have that "problem".  it is totally benign and unfixable.

"My last eye exam (01/06) revealed that I have 20/20 vision, but I can definitely tell that there is a problem."

having 20/20 doesnt mean anything.  i get into this discussion with patients all the time.  i am physically ABLE to lift 150+ lbs, but that doesnt mean i can carry 150lbs around with me all day.  just b/c you can see "20/20" does not mean that you do not have an eye problem.  if you "have trouble focusing" with one eye, then it makes no difference if you "see 20/20" in that eye or not.  totally irrelevant.

"should I see my regular doctor about this issue?"

w.o sounding too cynical...yes, i guess you *COULD* go see your regualar doctor, but he/she isnt going to be able to tell you much.  you need to be going to some eye doctor who has equipment for testing EYES other than a chart on the back of the exam room door.