Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
'Eyesight rapidly deteriorating'

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

'Eyesight rapidly deteriorating'

Sometime ago I wrote to this forum under the subject "Worried out of my wits" and I was told that a mark in my left eye might be collagen debris. Well, I did visit a specialist ...two in fact. Both told me that they didn't diagnose any diseases in the eye but that I had severe scarring. One said that he thought that it was some immunity problem that sounded something like "Uvitus"...but he referred me to another specialist who then told me the mark was due to a damaged blood vessel that has resulted in the retina lifting in a small area and causing me the problems I am experiencing. However, he also told me that he wasn't going to treat the problem and has asked me to return sometime in May.
Since then the focus in the left eye has deteriorated somewhat and I am worried that it may get even worse.....since it is now causing problems when the light is low. The blurred area in my vison hasn't got any worse in so much that it has moved....but it is spreading a little into my peripheral vision and forming a ring....and the 'noise' or shimmering around the mark drives me nuts when attempting to watch TV or read.
Am I to believe that I now have to live with this problem?....are there any corrective lens that will help?...and is it wise to get a new eye prescription at this moment?.
you need to go back to a retinal specialist.  

no, there are no corrective lenses to help with your visual symptoms.  you may have to kind of deal with it, as harsh as that may sound.  there are surgical corrections for some of your problems, but none of the surgeries will or can decrease your subjective symptoms, they can just prevent total blindness (retinal detachment or further scarring)

it probably wont matter much if you get a new spectacle rx now or if you wait.  new spectacles will not help with the ring or noise or shimmer or blurred peripheral area...