Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Left eye goes all bloodshot on random days when I wake up

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Ok I've had this weird problem for awhile now. It only happens in my left eye. Some days when I wake up my eye will randomoly be all red (bloodshot). This can happen twice a  week, once every two weeks, or sometimes it doesnt happen for a few months. I have no idea what causes it and why it happens. I thought it might be allergies, but I dont know why it happens at such random intervals. It usually takes 2 days to go away once it does happen. Its very a nnoying and I really wanna know how I can get rid of it, or stop it from happening. It doesnt really hurt at all, just kinda causes vision to be slightly blurry sometimes. It only happens when I wake up, like I can go to bed with it being fine, and then when I wake up it will be all bloodshot.
Are you a contact lens wearer?

If you are NOT a contact lens wearer, then it could be allergies, dry eye, or a multitude of other problems.  You need an eye exam to figure out which one.

if you ARE a contact lens wearer, then it is most likely contact lens related IMO.
I dont wear contact lenses. Can the eye exam be when the eye is not red? Because by the time I book an appointment the eye will be back to normal...
If you have a digital camera you may want to take a few pictures of your eye when it turns blodshot. This could maybe help the doctor figure out what it is.