Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Sudden distorted vision in right eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Sudden distorted vision in right eye

I am a 37 yr old female. I have been having vision problems for 4 months. I have blurred and double vision all the time.  I have been given glasses, have seen an optometrist, opthalmologist, family med doc and a neurologist.  I have had CT scans, with and without contrast, eye exams, a VEP test and am scheduled for an MRI in two days.  The problems only affect my right eye, but occurs all the time. All the CT scans and eye exams show everything to be normal.  I am awaiting results from the VEP test and will have to see what the MRI results tell.  I have been ruled out for any type of interior eye problems, my optic nerve is healthy, and have been ruled out for tumors.  I know that the VEP and MRI tests are to rule out MS. One other thing to mention is that I often have shooting pains through my right eye ball and it seems as though that eye is almost hypersensitive.  For example, my right eye just feels "weird".  I can feel my eye lids moving over that eye only when I blink my eyes.  My right pupil takes about 3x more time to dilate than the left when exposed to direct light. Another condition that my neurologist has told me that I suffer from is Adie pupil. (I don't have deep tendon reflexes and my pupils do dilate irregularly, differently from each other and my legs don't move when I am being tested for reflexs by hitting the tendons on my knees.) I know this is a lot of info at once, but all my docs are stumped.  I have been told that if the MRI comes back ok, they will deem it as opthalmic migrains and that's that. Anyone have this happen to them?  What was the cause?
Okay, I got the results back from my MRI today.  It found nothing wrong.  Although I'm positively thrilled that nothing was found, I'm still dismayed because I've racked up thousands of dollars in medical bills and have been to four doctors and still know nothing more than I did in the beginning.  Well, I guess that's not true because I know what I don't have wrong with me, I just don't know what's wrong with me, if that makes any sense.  My vision is absolutely no better and when I see the neurologist next week, he's going to say I'm having opthalmic migraines or have permanent damage from eye strain.  Before he did say before that the migraines never last for more than a few hours and my symptoms have been constant for the past four months.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Make certain that your thyroid function is normal
Sounds similiar to a problem that I had about 2 years ago.  All of the sudden my vision doubled in my right eye.  I went to an opthmologist who sent me to a retina specialist.  After many tests, he concluded that I had a condition called Central cirus or ciral  (not sure of the spelling) opathy or apathy (again, I uncertain of the spelling).  It was some sort of infection that occurs in the blood vessels behind the retina.  They enlarged and caused the distortion.  At that time he told me, "It may stay the same, gradually clear up, or get worse.  If it did clear up, it could come back."  Well, attempting to look the condition up and not finding anything on it, I went to the Wilmer Eye Clinic in Baltimore.  The doctor was very brusque and didn't seem to want to bother.  All he did was confirm the retina specialist's diagnosis.  My condition did clear up in about 3 or 4 months, but ocassionally, under stress, reoccurs for a short time.  I think the optic migraines are a diagnosis a lot of doctors give when they don't know what is going on.  I've had that told to me several times, especially with  a condition I have in my left eye, a dark clouding that seems to come and go.  I haven't had that one figured out, but the opthamologist assistant seemed to give me the best explanation which involves the aging fluid in the eye.  I found the comment about the thyroid from the other person interesting.  Is there a connection?  I've had a thyroid problem from many years and have been on medication.
A related discussion, distortion in right eye was started.