Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Temporary Blindness upon waking

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Temporary Blindness upon waking

Early this morning, I awoke to find that I could not see out of my left eye.  My right eye was fine.  I could see a bright green circle, but the rest was black.  30 seconds later, the vision returned and I went back to sleep.  Awoke again at my normal time to find that all was well with my vision, but I still feel a slight pressure in that eye only.  I have worn contacts for years without incident.  Additinally, I developed a pain in the left side of my jaw in front of my ear last week and a pain in my throat that was evident only when yawning.  Saw my family physician for these symptoms - said that I irritated my jaw muscle somehow and that the throat pain was probably related.  Those symptoms have subsided, but are still present.  Finally, over the past few months, I have been diagnosed with Sleep Apnia (apnea), PVC's, NSVT, and SVT - had an EP study / ablation for the SVT but nothing else could be found.  I'm really tired of seeming to have everything wrong (but wanted to share all that has gone on for you to understand all of my symptoms).  I have been very healthy all of my life and suddently and feel great now except for these odd symptoms that keep arrising.  First question - any idea on the temporary blindness?  Second question - any chance that all of these things are related? Third question - should I see an optomitrist about the blindness or my family physician again?
1) possibly migraine aura, possibly transient ischemic attack, possibly some vascular occlusion.  you need an eye exam.

2) yes they probably are related

3) you need an eye exam from an optometrist or ophthalmologist IN ADDITION TO another visit to your family care practitioner
I had an eye exam last week.  My vision has decreased some in that eye, and some in the other.  The optomitrist said that all looked well.  No more episodes since the last comment, until this weekend.  I had headaches all weekend long and again a feeling of pressure in the left eye after the episode.  I awoke early Saturday morning to see the same green ring (again only in the left eye).  It went away again in about 1 -2 minutes.  I paid a little more attention this time to determine exactly what I saw.  I was able to see around the ring, and the center of the green area is black.  It appears as though I'm looking into another eye (a green eye).  Who should I see now for a second opinion as the optomitrist said all is well?