Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
burning and tearing left eye!!!

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

burning and tearing left eye!!!
last night i woke up out of my sleep..because my left eye was burning and tearing..this is like the 3rd time this has happened to me..i have never had any eye problems. can someone please help me?!?! does this sound serious? thank you
probably not.  if you are not a contact lens wearer, i cant think of any serious/blinding eye problem that causes "burning" w/o some sort of chemical exposure.

you probably need an eye exam, but IMO its probably not emergent.  if i had to guess i'd say you might have incomplete eyelid closure while you sleep, which causes corneal dessication or dryness.  then you wake up with it burning, and the burning sensation causes the tearing.  but other things are certainly possible like recurrent corneal erosion (also not an emergency)...
Probably the reason is dryness of your eyes.
You can read the necessary information at :
http://www.wiseorb.com/articles-review-478-T-DRY_EYES%3A_THE_PROBLEM_OF_THIS_TIME%2E.htm
A related discussion, eyes was started.