Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
enlarged optic nerve
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

enlarged optic nerve

What can cause an enlarged optic nerve?  I have never had problems with my eyes in the past.  I recently went to the eye doctor for reading glasses.  All went fine accept she found my left optic nerve to be enlarged.  She said it has probably always been that way.  I have never been told of this condition by any other Doctor I have seen.  The Doctor seems very unconcerned and told me not to worry!  She is going to take a picture when I have my eyes dilated on my next visit.  Should I be concerned and what follow-up do I need if any?
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
have them photodocument it.  it is most likely no big deal.  kind of like saying you have "one large ear".  as long as it works, who cares?  as long as you see well, have no peripheral vision loss and have low intra-ocular pressure (which i'm sure your doc checked for!), its fine.  dont worry.

one large ear would actually be worse b/c you might look funny!
Blank
A related discussion, enlargment of opic never was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank