Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
pimple-looking growths under the skin, but aren't pimples

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I get these growths under my skin, not necissarily around my eyes, but mostly they occur around my eyes. They look like whiteheads, but they never go away. I've found the only way to get rid of them is to dig them out with a needle, and then grab onto it with tweezers and pull them out. They seem to have roots. What are they???

I notice other people have them too, but they never make any effort to get rid of them.
One explanation I have heard is they are cholesterol buildups under the skin. That doesn't mean you have high cholesterol, necessarily, just that the cholesterol deposits settle there. Don't know if it is true, but I have heard that.
I have them too and heard they are cholesterol build up.  I've wanted to get rid of them but I did not know there was a way to do it.  Something that close to my eye would worry me that I would poke my eye out LOL.  Did it actually work when you used a needle and how did you detached the roots you found?  Most importantly did the poking/digging with the needle and taking out with the roots cause any scarring or anything?  If not I would love to know how you did it! THANKS!

Best regards,

Chase2005