Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
sinus infectiion and eye floaters?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

sinus infectiion and eye floaters?

I got my first eye floater which was in my right eye back in march of this year. I had my eyes examined 4 times and was assured that there was nothing to be concerned about and that I would just have to learn to live with it. Since this time that single floater has multiplied into several and I have also started getting them in the left eye as well. I also have had a nasty sinus infection that I just can't seem to shake that started before I ever developed any of these floaters. My question is can a sinus infection cause floaters and if so will eliminating the sinus infection also get rid of the floaters?
Steve.....we all tend to want to link the start of our floater's with "an event".....I don't think one has anything to do with the other. I've had floater's for 8 year's now and as hard as it is to believe, you really will get use to them over time. As my DR. say's it part of getting old-part of aging......it happen's to young and old. Gina
Thankyou Gina, just curious I got another CT scan yesterday and the sinus infection is still there. So another round of antibiotics was ordered and I'm off to the races again. I was just curious about the sinus infection being the root cause of the floaters. Although I must admit the coincidence of these two non-related issuses led me to think that the possibility might exist. I guess I was thinking that with the near constant headache associated with the sinus infection(swollen sinus with pressure against the eye)may have caused the floaters to appear.
If this is not the case I guess I will just have to learn to ignore them. Now if I can just get rid of this stubborn sinus infection. Oh well I guess that's life. Thanks again, Steve
Steve....Anything is possible but in the long run you can't change it... no matter how you got them. The hardest part is learning to accept them(and that is hard) Speaking of sinus infection I had a very bad one in the spring and my DR put me on peniciln....it worked like a charm. Get a pair of good dark glasses...I wear them in the house at time's. Good Luck! Gina
no, sinus problems are in general unrelated to any floaters you may have or deveolp
Hi.  I have had eye floaters since 1987 and only now am I getting to the bottom of my problems.  The floaters started right after walking bare-foot over carpet that had been poisoned sprayed for fleas!  Nice house - shame about the carpet.  But this year I finally diagnosed with Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism - headaches, sinus are symptoms and as for the floaters I am looking around this site for answers - have heard they an MS symptom.  Don't want to concern you - but I've never accepted the "lots of people have these floaters and they no concern" approach from doctors and optometrists.  I'm just putting the jigsaw together.  Hope yours do belong to the "of no concern" bracket.
Steve223, from past expirence, you might want to have the following checked. get a dental exam. i had sinus problems due to an absessed tooth and i had no idea it was absessed/infected. no pain or discomfort however it managed to bore a hole through my jaw bone and into my sinuses.
Also you may want to get checked out by a chiropractor. i use to have headaches daily till i got properly adjusted. it took about 8 chiropractic visits to get back in shape.
i heard taking dandylion herbs will dissolve the floaters.
hope this helps.