Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
vitreous detachment

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

vitreous detachment

Hi, I am a 42 year old female that had a vitreous detachment a year and a half ago in my left eye.  It left a huge floater that completely covered my central site in the left eye.  It finally settled down and now only floats up and I can usually blink it back down.  I was wondering how long is it ok to still occasionally have the flashes of light from the side of my vision?  Also, I did have a retinal specialist look at the eye because they thought I had a hole, but he said it was more of a bubble or scab that would resolve eventually.  What is the percentage that my other eye will have this happen?  Thanks for your comments.
percentage that other eye will develop a vitreal detachment is high.  i would say around 50%.  percentage that other eye will have a "bubble"...dont have any idea.

1 1/2 years is a LONG time to have flashes from a PVD.  i would have said 3 months or less on the flashes from a PVD.  i assume your current flashes are probably NOT from the PVD.  if you last saw the retinal specialist over a year ago, you need to go back.

1 Comment
A related discussion, Flashing in periphery of the left eye was started.