Eye Care Community
Allergy Blisters?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Allergy Blisters?

I seem to get seasonal itchy eyes and when its really bad I have these clear "blisters" on the insides of my left eyelid.  My right eye does not bother me at all, but my left starts to get these clear bubbles that vary in size & sometimes disappear.  After looking closely in the mirror I discovered the bubbles towards the outer corner of my eye on both the upper and lower inner lid.  I've worn contacts for quite a while & when I saw my eye doctor last visit (over the winter) the bubbles were not present.  I did ask him about a possible allergy and he gave me Patanol drops to use.  I'm concerned about these bubbles on my eyelids, although they are definitely seasonal.  I get a lot of discharge when these arrive too (mostly in my left eye, but occasionally in my right as well).  Is this something I need to be concerned about or is it just allergies?

Thanks!
-6 Comments Post a Comment
IF the bubbles are there all the time its probably conjunctival cysts which are common and benign. On rare occasions they get large enough to feel and need draining by an eye MD in the office.

If the bubbles come and go it may be "chemosis" or allergic swelling of the conjunctiva.

See an eye MD ophthalmologist to determine what it is.

JCH III MD
My daughter has these huge blisters in her eyes and they swell shut.  She is 42 yr old.  She has been bothered by allergies, hay fever,etc since she was small.  Just in the past couple of years, she has developed an allergy to something that is in LEATHER SOFAS. She can sit on one for just a couple of minutes...with her clothes on and she don't even touch it. In a matter of minutes her eyes look horrible.  The second time, she thought she had touched the sofa on the first time, so the next time, she made a point not to touch it at all.  It didn't matter.  Still the same effect...each time has gotten worse. I worry about what it is doing as far as damaging her eyes, plus I'm afraid if she comes in to contact with whatever is in those leathers and she doesn't know it, I'm afraid of just how bad it could by.  Does anyone out there, know about this or have the same symptoms and what the treatment would be.  The doctor this time consulted her eye doctor. they said she needed some eye drops to use only in severe cases such as hers.  Said the eye drops could only be used for 24 hrs and would need to throw the rest away....and it was $300.00 a bottle and...her insurance would NOT pay for it.!  This is terrible.  What are we do do....people who have to work hard for what they have and live from check to check, can't afford a $300.00 bottle of eye drops that you only use for 24 hrs and throw the rest away...???  What's wrong with this picture.  Does anyone have any information or help?  I would sure appreciate any comments that would be helpful...Thank you so much!!!!!
First this is common for people to have allergies that cause symptoms like this. However it rarely ever causes any permanent damage. Things that help besides avoiding whatever causes the allergic reaction:  1. cold compresses  2. anti-histamine like Benadryl  3. Mild-moderate allergy eye drops like Zaditor   4. if this is still a problem see an ophthalmologist eye MD  there are some stronger prescription eye drops like Pataday or Lastacraft (no they are not $300/bottle).  5. in all resistant cases a 5 mil bottle of generic prednisolone acetate costing maybe $5-10 works just fine.

JCH MD