Eye Care Community
Bloodshot and painful eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Bloodshot and painful eye

My left eye became bloodshot and painful because both eyes suffer from dryness in the Az climate. I use artificial tears. I saw the doctor who first of all thought it could be allergy based and gave me some drops for this. This made my eye smart and there was no improvement after 3 days. I then went to see an eye specialist and he gave me prednisalone drops for nodules. I used this last night and awoke in the middle of the night with terrific pain so I do not wish to use it again. I feel I need to treat my eyes for infection as my right eye is now red in the corner. We have cats and a short time ago two of the cats had eye problems which were solved with antibiotic ointment. Could my problem be related? What else can I do to help as my left eye is now very red from the left corner to the center. Thank you for your help.
Redness of the eye does not always mean infection. Dry eyes is a very common cause of red eyes. The cats probably have nothing to do with it. If you had allergies the main symptom would be intense itching.

Please use the search feature on this page and research the many discussions we've had on dry eyes and the treatment of same.

I would hold off on the predisone drops. I would suggest you see an Eye MD physician ophthalmologist for a proper diagnosis and a discussion of treatment options.

JCH III MD FACS