Both eyes are suddenly red. What is wrong?
Shortly after I woke up this morning my eyes (mostly my right eye) starting burning. I just assumed that maybe I got something in my eye so I took my eye drops to flush it out. A few minutes later it was still hurting so I went to the bathroom to look at my eye and when I pulled my bottom eye lids down the whole bottom of my eye is all red starting at the outer corner. It's been itching and burning but the burning isn't real bad. I've been using eye drops all day but nothing has helped. What could this be and should I seek medical help?
Hopefully you do not wear contacts as contact lens problems is a frequent cause. If the eye is bright red like blood it could be a subconjunctival hemorrhage which looks bad but isn't serious. If you eye is uncomfortable tomorrow, burns and waters I would suggest you see an ophthalmologist. In themeantime use artifical tears and warm compresses..

Find an Eye MD near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD