Eye Care Community
Crystal lens vs ReStor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Crystal lens vs ReStor

Is it true that it takes a year to adjust to the Crystalens.  Are some patients better cadidates for one IOL than another. And what is the big difference between Crystalens and ReStor?

This discussion is related to Restor Lens: Potential problems.
Yes. Yes. Crystalens better distance vision, ReStor better near vision.

JCH III MD
Thank you for your response.

Undecided16
-----
I had a restor lens done in my left eye three weeks ago.  I am not happy with it, especially my distance vision.  I cannot read street names and I cannot make out road large over head signs. I cannot see the clock in the other room, or read the program information at the bottom of the tv screen. I do not know if I should have the restor lens put in the second eye.  My doctor says the left eye needs find tuning with lazer after it heals, Help.  I do not know what to do.  Also halos around bright light.

from disappointed.
-
While there may be adjustment with the Crystalens for up to a year (I had heard six months), you'd be thrilled and able to function normally within a couple days if you have a good result.  Be sure that you understand how the two lenses are at intermediate as well.

With Crystalens it is absolutely critical that you go to a doctor very experienced with Crystalens.  At the very least, your doctor should be listed on the Crystalens website as a Center of Excellence.

I had a Crystalens put in 7/7/09 and had a wonderful result.
-
I have gone to 3 surgeons now for evaluations. All 3 have different opinions. The last says Crystal Lens are not good, you say they are. Who is right ?
Crystalens HD is the best of the premium IOLs. That does not mean that some people don't have problems with it. Some people even have problems with regualar monofocal IOLS.

If two of the consults agree then that might be the way to go. Otherwise get a 4th opinion from a corneal IOL specialist find one near you at www.aao.org

Use the searach feature to read about Crystalens HD

JCHM D
Which lens is best for you has a lot to do with your personal priorities.  Given the potential risks/benefits of the Crystalens, is this your first choice?  If so, do NOT see a surgeon who says that this lens is "no good;" he probably is inexperienced with it.  See someone who has lots of successful experience implanting it.
I've had Crystalens and Restor and I can say that neither is perfect.  So much depends on your age, vision prior to surgery, lifestyle, expectations and willingness to compromise.  If you absolutely must have sharp distancxe vision, it seems to me that monofocal IOL's is the way to go.  But you will give up intermediate and near vision and must wear multi-focal eye glasses.

I don't think either Crystalens or Restor will provide correction-free vision at all distances.  If you read Dr. O's entries on this site (use the search feature), you will learn that it is critical to choose an experienced surgeon in Crystalens.  So much needs to be done pre- and post-surgery in order to insure a good result.  In my case, my Dr. was not as experienced, resulting in a myopic shift.

I now have two Restor's (5 months left eye and 2 months right eye) and distance vision is reduced, but I can drive.  I hope to sharpen this with eye glasses.  I can read the computer and fine print in bright light without glasses.  Need readers in dim light.  Intermediate vision (people across a table) is not as sharp as the Crystalens, but reasonable without glasses.
I have a cataract in my left eye due to the inflamation (inflammation) and my right is just fine. My doctor initialy suggested me Crystal lens. But after talking readings of both the eyes he said he is not confident of vision because the measurements of both the eyes are not same. But from my previous reports he assumes that both eyes are symmetric. He said we are not getting the correct measurements becuase of my cataract. But he said we need exact measurements to put Crystal lens. He said in this case he recommend me standard lens. Now I am confused.  Can you suggest me.

Thanks,
PKN