Eye Care Community
Dark floaters in eye after blunt trauma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Dark floaters in eye after blunt trauma

I am a 20 year old male. About this time last year I was involved in a a fight which ended in me being struck in the face with a bottle (over the right eye) and being sprayed with what I assume was mace.
My eyes were flushed out and swollen for the next week but when they started to become back to normal I noticed a large dark floater in the centre of my vision. More notibley my right eye.

I thought nothing of it but after a month decided to get it checked out, I went to a General physician who said everything looked fine and it was debris brought up in the impact. I went to a ophthalmologist about a month later and got the same answer, no retinal detchment, eye looked fine, debris.

Its been a year and I feel the number of floaters has increased, in my right eye there is  a spider web of floater that moves about and sometimes looks a little blurry. The floaters are very noticable but do not effect me unless I am paying attention to them.

I am concered however that the floaters are increasing, or I am just now noticing them. Aparently my eyes are fine, but I dont have a good feeling. I have 20/20 visioin and apart from the dark floaters and slight blurry spot in my right eye everything seems normal.

Will this "debris" or dark floaters disapeer overtime? Is their any way of treating them? Should I consult a few more eye specialist? I am growing concernd.
It is likely that the floaters will remain there. You  ability to ignore them will increase with time. There is no treatment for floaters.  Use the searach feature and archives to read about floaters.

If its been a year since the ophthalmologist examined you its time to go back.

JCH MD