Eye Care Community
Distorted vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Distorted vision

I am a 31year old female and today I experienced something very strange.

I was working on my PC at work and I suddenly had a shape in front of my vision - a bit like when a light is shone in your eye at the opticians and it leaves a shape in your vision.

After a few second this grew into what looked like a star shape - pointed edges and inside the star was distorted vision (best way of discribing the distorted vision was as if water was being thrown into my vision and was creating waves)  it moved around but not like a floater does - it moved even when my eyes were still.

Anyhow after a few minutes it kept growing and eventually I lost my side vision in my right eye for about 20 minutes - it was still starry but now moved into my outer vision.

It eventually cleared after 30 minutes but I was scared about what it could be?

Any ideas?

I was about to go to the eye department at my local hospital but it cleared so now I am just wondering what it vould be incase it ever happens again. This has not happen like this bofre - it was like a giant distorted starry floater!!

This was definitely an ocular migraine.  You can have migraine "aura" without a headache.  If you have a history of migraines without aura, you have just moved on to a new phase where you are getting the aura.