Eye Care Community
Eye disturbance

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Eye disturbance

For the past year and an half I have experienced a strange disturbance in my vision, which occurs occasionally in both glaring and dim light.  

The disturbance appears in my central vision.  It looks like the grayish smudges you see on the edges of a bad xerox copy.  It is see through.  It does not move like a floater, but stays centrally located when I look around.  When I blink, the disturbance/image disappears for a second and then reappears.  It lasts no longer than 20-30 seconds.  I see it against light surfaces, but not against dark surfaces.

This happens only when using close vision.  For instance tonight I was attempting to take a picture of the cat with a cell phone.  The camera's screen was dimly lit.  When I looked up, the disturbance was present.   It also sometimes happens when a bright, glaring light reflects on a book I'm reading.

Tonight, my left eye is itchy.  I do have allergies and just had a shot yesterday to help me build up my tolerance.  

Any help I could get in discovering what the disturbance is would be greatly appreciated.  
That is a puzzler in that it doesn't have the hallmarks of floaters, eye migraines, macular disease.

I suggest you start by getting an appointment with an Eye MD. Find one at www.aao.org.
Also use Google. search Amsler Grid. Print one out, read how to take the test and do one daily and during an "attack".

JCH MD