Eye Care Community
Left eye concentration and sensitivity is weird

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I have recently been having problems with my eyes and my concentration, i don't know where the problem lies but i think its to do with my left eye, i find it to feel uncomfortable all the time, and feel as its not being used at all, people say that you have one dominant eye, but my left eye feels dead even though my vision is perfect with it, i feel like everytime i wake up in the morning i have this weird heavy feel on my left eye, and i don't know why, it goes on throughout the day and i find it hard to concentrate at sixth form when im being taught etc, and when my driving lessons come, i find it really hard to concentrate. I find it really hard to concentrate on reading or doing any other task and sometimes when im reading the text becomes mixed up, i dont know how to explain it, and im hoping someone can help me or guide me, i went to an opticians the other week and they said my eyes are very healthy, no eye strain, but i dont think this is right, so i dont know what to do, i will also add that i spend alot of time infront of the computer, but i cant see this being the problem, im getting scared that it might be something to do with my head, or something stupid, i have not been having headaches and i drink a lot of water fluids etc, just incase some people think that it might be a brain tumour. I also feel like when im looking at someone, im only looking at them with my right eye and my left eye isn't there, i feel that i am having a sensitivity problem with my left eye because my left eye doesnt seem as it's there or it doesnt seem to concenrate and i dont feel like its working,its very confusing, i don't know what it is, when i close one of my eyes and look in the other, they are both fine, no vision problems. Let me know what you think, thank you.
See an ophthalmologist and get a cycloplegic refraction to make sure you are not farsighted.

Dr. O.

Will my doctor refer me to an ophthalmologist, and if i was farsighted, why wouldn't i have noticed this problem before, i was reading up on glaucoma and i was thinking it might be that. Thank You.
I have been having the same problem! The same symptoms plus a couple more...it started off about three months ago. I had a really small dot that would pop into my line of vision very quickly and then disappear just as quickly. It was black, oblong, and lined with white.  I believe is a photo receptor Cell firing without input or something was keeping the information from being received. I spoke to my sister-in-law about this since she is in optometry school. She recommended that I go see an eye Dr. to rule out a Detaching  Retna. The other symptom is when a bright light shines in my eyes, like when a car window reflects the sun, it takes, what seems like forever for the vision to be restored. A lot longer than before.
My vision seems perfect but my comprehension seems retarded. When reading words, some words don't look like they are spelled correctly even when they are. Please let me know if you receive a diagnosis, I don't have the time or health insurance to devote to this vision.
I believe that I have the same issue.  For me, the "dead eye"is my right side. It feels like I use my left eye to view things and that my right eye is sort of, "just along for the ride."
After a few years of self reflection I do believe that this "dead" feeling is a case of severe eye dominance and that the recessive eye becomes slightly "lazy" causing the "dead" feeling.
For two years now I have been attempting to correct it and have made small progress. I will later give my methods for correction.
  For me, I believe that my leftside eye dominance was caused by 3 things; being left handed, being a mouth breather and is also a direct effect indicated by Happeh theory.
Google "mouth breathing effects" and the reseach suggests that it has an effect on your teeth, face, eyes, and postue. I believe this to be true because not only is the "dead eye" on my right, but the entire right half of my face is a tad bit droopier than my left. Apparently this droopiness goes unnoticed by others but is now very evident to me.
While researching facial droopiness I stumbled upon Happeh Theory.I will leave it up to you to google Happeh Theory to find out what exactly the theory is. This theory is a little farfetched however I see the same changes in myself.
  To correct this "dead" feeling I have been trying to practice "looking through" my right
eye making it dominant.
  I noticed that in order to successfully transfer dominance it requires me nose breath and place my teeth together in a position that is offcenter from my normal bite. Secondly, I have to pretend that a string is attached to the backside of my eyeball,  and that the string is being pulled directly through the back of my skull drawing my eyeball inward.
In those moments in which I am able to connect to my right side the dead feeling disappears and small adjustments are made to the droopiness of my face.
  It took a long time, and concentration to look through my right. I initially started by looking at myself in a mirror and trying to focus on seeing the right side of my face with my right eye. Initially looking through my right eye would give me a headache and I would see black spots and would have to stop. I believe the headaches were caused by getting in touch with muscles in the face that had become atrophied due to minimal use.
When I do connect to my right side, I feel all sorts of "pull" "tug" or "tightness" in areas of my right side especially in the temporal, cranial and cheeks.  
After a few more months of practice I began being able to transfer the dominance more easily but could only do so for a moment and only while staring at a fixed object. Any attempt to look at more than one object resulted in the left side taking over immediately. Additionally, when looking through my right eye I gain a slight increase in my peripheral vision on my rightside.
  After continued practice, I am now able to look from one object to another keeping the eye dominant but it still remains difficult and still requires a lot of concentration. Ofcourse I still spend a large amont of my day as left eye dominant because I can't sit around all day concentrating on my eye, but I am hoping that with continued practice that I can increase the length of time I am able to transfer dominance and that the result in a more uniformed vision from both eyes.
Hope this helps!