Length ot time to safely use Prednisone drops?
In July '08 my lens detached in my R eye.  I have always had a subluxed lens in this eye from birth. I had a consult and because of my age, it was decided the best course would be to remove the lens, let the eye heal and then be fitted with a regular contact lens that I could remove.  The reason for this I was told, was because the lenses that are implanted after say cataract surgery only have a 15 year "lifespan" and because of my age at the time of surgery (age 43), they felt a regular contact would be best to avoid another surgery later in life.

Well, it's now Apr 2010 and I am still using Prednisone drop 2-3 times daily.  The follow up physician I see says he can still see some inflammation behind the eye upon exam.  I also am having a problem with severe eye pain (only the R eye) after A) I have a severe coughing fit because of allergies and B) when I get upset, thus increasing my BP.

The pain is directly behind the eye and hurts when the muscle is moved.  650mg of aspirin and ice applied to the eye for 40 minutes helps alleviate the pain.

So my question?  Is it safe for me to continue using the steroid drops this long?  My ocular pressure is fine and I have no need to worry about cataract.  Also is this length of time normal for recovery after this type of surgery???

Marie
That is not the type of question we can answer in this forum. (use of steroids) You did not have "usual type" of surgery so there is no usual answer. If you want a second opinion consider seeing Warren Hill MD Mesa AZ.

JCH MD