Meniscus effect???
I have silicone oil in my eye after the first attempt to use gas bubble vitrectomy failed.  The retina tear was caused by trauma and considered large.  Location from what I understand is in the lower right portion if my left eye.  So far my vision is very blurry which I had expected due to the oil.  When I am sitting up right my peripheral vision is usually good, but sometimes I see a dark shadow in the upper left hand side.  When I tuck my chin to my chest this shadow is much darker and concave in shape.  If I move my chin tighter to the chest it sometimes shifts to convex, and in lighting the effect is much more dramatic.  My first reaction was that the retina was detached again, but there are no accompanying flashes.  Is it possible this effect is caused by the meniscus of the silicone oil?  It looks very similar to the effect I had after the gas bubble surgery failed.  
Is it possible this effect is caused by the meniscus of the silicone oil?  YES

JCH MD

use the search feature and archives and read the many posts about oil in the eye.