Eye Care Community
Punctal Plugs - Tear Duct Plugged??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Punctal Plugs - Tear Duct Plugged??

I recently had permanent Plugs inserted in my eyes because I thought my eyes were to dry.  I know think it was only allergies.  I had them removed 2 months ago and my left eye seems to water to the point where tears drip out of my eye.  Especially earlier in the morning, outside, and on the bus.

Could my tear duct be plugged from a portion of the plug still left in my eye?
Can an eye doctor tell with a microscope or something?
Thanks in advance
Chris
It depends on what type of plug was put in the eye. I use a plug that is solid and one piece and has a tiny cap that holds it level with the lid and is easy and safe to remove.

Some optoms and a few Eye MDs use plugs example SmartPlug that are totally buried within the tear duct. They have to be irrigated out. Often they get stuck.

So it depends on what type was used. If your "eye doctor" is a MD physician ophthalmologist I would go back in for a re-exam and to confirm that you did not have a buried plug. If your eye doctor is an optom non-MD non-Physician I would go to a eye MD for a real examination. Find one at www.aao.org or ask your personal MD for a referral.

Remember that "tears dysfunction syndrome" (the new name for what use to be called dry eyes) can range from no tears at all to a eye that waters constantly.

JCH MD