RLE to correct vision, no cataracts present
I think this may be a highly debatable subject, but I would like some opinions.

I am a 35 year old male with very high myopia, about -12 in both eyes.  I have been in glasses since 3rd grade and contact lens since 5th grade.  My world has been a blur as long as I can remember.  I would like to be as independent from contacts or glasses as possible, to be able to wake up in the morning and see.  In the event of an emergency type situation, I would like to be able to see immediately and not be fumbling for my glasses in the dark.

I consulted a lasik center in November of 2014, but found out my cornea was too thin and I am not a candidate.  Lasik would only be able to correct half of my prescription.

My treating doctors suggested another option, RLE (cataract surgery) to replace my natural lens.  To me, this seemed like a plausible option.  I finally got around to a consultation last month.  I am a candidate for this procedure. My astigmatism is not too bad, but there would be a procedure on the front end to remove my minor astigmatism.

Last year, they mentioned mono vision as an option, or standard lens and correcting a fixed distance.  I can't remember if they mentioned multifocal last year.  

Fast forward to this year, they mentioned the multifocal option.  They made me well aware of the halo issue especially at night and that it should wane after weeks/month or so.  However, I all ready have halos at night, especially around street lights, due to my high myopia.  I really don't even notice it anymore and it is not bothersome at all.  I've learned to adapt to it.

I know ICL is another procedure that is available, but as I approach 40 the possibility of readers would creep into the equation. Correct? I'd rather just do one procedure and hopefully be done with it (no cataracts later in life).

I do believe it would be a life changing event if all goes according to plan.

I'd like to hear others' opinions on my particular situation.  Do you think I am crazy for entertaining this elective procedure? Mono-focal vs multifocal?  I know the tecnis symphony is not available in the US yet, but the tecnis 2.75 low add does hold some promise it appears.  Are there some factors I may be missing and not considering?

Thanks for reading!!
Use the search feature and archives for previous discussions as there are many extended discussions on this topic.

Also read this article
  http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/index/177275?page=7&personal_page_id=67912&sort_by=date

and this
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/1648102/Consider-ALL-the-Options-Before-Your-Cataract-Surgery-Working-Through-Whats-Best-For-You

JCH MD