Eye Care Community
Right Eye Acrysof IQ IOL and Left Eye Acrsof IQ Toric IOL

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Respected Doctors,

My Father is going to go for cataract surgery and his eye numbers as per doctor are as follows:

Glasses Right: OD-9 cylinder-0.75, axis:44 vn:0.5
Glasses Left: OS-7.75 cylinder -1.25, axis:133 vn:-

Autorefraction Right Eye: OD-7.25, cylinder -1.00, axis 39
Autorefraction Left Eye: OS-6.25, cylinder -1.25, axis 169

The Surgeon suggested to go for Acrysof IQ IOL in Right Eye, and Acrysof TORIC IOL in Left Eye (since the above numbers are for glasses and as per his actual eye calculations the cylinder in left eye is -2 to -2.25)

I just wanted to know that is Toric IOL absolutely and neccessarily required to correct Left Eye Cylinder of -1.25 as per my fathers glasses prescription or would you suggest getting normal Acrysof IQ IOL in the Left Eye also.

The Doctor said that they would be able to complete correct the distance vision with putting Acrysof IQ IOL (SN60WF) in Right Eye and Acrysof TORIC IOL (SN60T) in Left Eye, (I wanted to know what will happen for intermediate vision and is driving considered in distance vision or intermediate vision)

Also what are the risk of using Toric IOL.

Before going for surgery my father is able to read the near distance very clearly without depending on glasses but has to see from very near meaning maybe 5cms to 8cms, doctor recommended multifocal but I have gone through the patient information and feedback about them and have decided against it, so I am aware that my father will have to wear reading glasses after ther surgery.

I would highly appreciate your kind guidance at the earliest since my father's surgery is scheduled on thursday 24th march 2011 for the right eye and on friday 25th march 2011

Also feedback from People who have gone through similar usage of iol feedback will be really appreciated as to the satisfaction levels.
The information provided does not determine the need for a toric IOL.  You need to have the keratometry reading, surgical induced astigmatism, incision location, etc.  Look at my video on You tube about the need for toric IOLs or LRIs.

Dr. O.