Eye Care Community
Treated Retinal Tear Flight Training

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Treated Retinal Tear Flight Training

Background Healthy 26 y/o with peripheral retinal tear treated 2 years ago with laser.  Treatment is stable.  No family history or genetic predisposition to retinal problems.  Tear caused by trauma to the eye (punched in eye)  I am looking for information to help justify a waiver to begin Air Force flight training.  If any experts have any literature or documents i can review that I may be able to include with my waiver would be much appreciated.   My retinal specialist who performed the repair has noted no limitations or restrictions at this time due to the fact that the repair is stable no high risk factors for rd.  I have full visual field perfect depth perception and color vision.  I do not have myopia.  20/20 vision, no visual symptoms.   I will not be flying an aircraft that performs exposure to g forces other than loads you would normally see in regular airline transport.  I need help in justifying to the Air Force this condition will not have an effect on flying duties.   I worked really hard to become qualified for this position and after discussing this with my specialist this does not seem to have an effect on my career goals.  I need help of any experts whom have documentation that can help justify my cause.  
I was in the USAF during Viet Nam (Captain) and for many years did the flight qualifying physicals (eye) for Navy/Marines in Kansas City area.  Your best bet is the statement of your retina surgeon, might want to get a second opinion from another retina surgeon and have those both in hand. Then speak to a recruiter and have them research regulations. Nothing happens in the military that is contra regulations without a great deal of effort. I suspect the matter is NOT covered.   I would also connect with your US House of Representative member and Senator and see if you can get a letter of recommendation concerning your wish to serve your country in the USAF.

While I have not done Navy/Marine eye flight exams for 10+ years at the time I quit doing them you would not be excluded. Good luck. I loved the USAF.

JCH MD