Eye Care Community
Visual anomaly

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Visual anomaly

I am approaching 60 and have had this occasional visual aberration for as long as I can remember.  It is not serious, does not interfere with normal visual function when it occurs, and is not long lasting but I have always been curious about it and feel that somewhere in the medical literature relating to eye-brain visual issues there must be a name for it.

When I am outdoors in bright light like on a sunny day, and especially when there is snow cover, and come indoors where things are darker there occasionally appears in the center of my visual field what looks to be in size and shape a pansy bloom or small pinwheel with alternating bands of light blue and dark red which is spinning in a way that the color bands are radiating towards the center and disappearing as new bands appear on the outside of the shape. At irregular spots around the shape there are rays of no color radiating from the center that do not move.  Imagine looking at a pansy flower of variegated red and blue with the colors on the petals spinning towards the center.  Within minutes the thing gradually fades as my eyes adjust to the light. This is as good as I can describe it.  I can shut either eye or both of them and the the vision persists much like the bright spot that lingers in your visual field when you look away from a bright light ("retinal fatigue" I believe they call it) and can still be seen for a few minutes when you close your eyes.  It doesn't trouble me when it occurs and it doesn't always occur when I come in from being outside.  I would just like to know what it is.

A farmer from Virginia

That is pretty much a classic description of a eye migraine.  Use the search feature to read the many discussions we've had here about them. Go to Google IMAGES and type in mygraine scotomas and see what others look like.

JCH MD