coats disease
My 35 year old son in law has been diagnosed with coats disease. He is an active duty soldier who has spent over 3 of the last 5 years deployed and fighting the war. It was upon returning that he was diagnosed. We've read some about coats disease but are wondering if there's any possibility that this condition could be caused by some factor attributed with wearing kevlar helmets all this time. He was not wounded, nor does he believe that he suffered any head trauma but it seems a bit suspicious and I have read some info about bad effects of the helmets not allowing head injuries to be immediately apparent. I am sure you don't have enough information to really give me an anser, but I'm wondering if you think he should pursue this?  Thanks for any insight you can offer.
Our nation owes a great debt of gratitutde to your son.  Coat's disease would have no relationship at all to anything he came in contact with or injuries.

This is a good reference:

http://www.emedicine.com/OPH/topic407.htm

JCH III MD
USAF veteran