Fibromyalgia Community
Diagnosed with post viral but worried about Fibro

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Hi, I thought I’d give it a go posting on here in the hope that someone can give me some advice. I am 28 and female. Since February I’ve had various weird and horrible symptoms. After a bad cold at the start of February, about a week after it ended I had really sudden and severe period pains. 2 days after this I was hit by a really unnerving dizzy, off-balance feeling. The room wasn’t spinning, it was more of a light-headed and disorientated feeling. This lasted a few hours but I put it down to being a bit weak after my cold and didn’t bother too much, and it cleared just as quickly as it had begun. But after it began to happen every day and for hours at a time, at times really severe and making me feel like I was drunk and as if it was impossible to think straight and unable to do much. Then I began to develop numbness and tingling mainly in hands, arms, feet and face. A lot of the time I noticed I had no appetite (lost some weight) and some diarrhoea, then developed muscle twitches, occasional aches in arms, a feeling like blood was rushing round my body, occasional headaches although not bad, crawling feeling and prickling on skin, black floating shapes occasionally in field of vision, occasional fuzzy/pressure feeling in back of head/back of throat, occasional dry mouth or metallic taste in mouth, pins and needles feeling travelling throughout body, body jumping on point of going to sleep, waking up with dead hands sometimes, sometimes woken in the night by the room spinning. Occasionally I would be suddenly tired but not for long at a time. Blood tests showed nothing wrong and I panicked I had MS and demanded a referral to a Neurologist. On listening to my symptoms he straight away ruled out MS or anything like that and on the spot said I had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and would make a gradual recovery with some better/worse days. By this time it seemed I was a bit better although the dizzy/hard to focus feeling was there in some form nearly all the time, varying between a vague lightheaded feeling to feeling like I’d been given a sedative. Over several weeks things carried on like this then went downhill again. I began to doubt my diagnosis as I thought the main symptom with that was tiredness which I don’t have a lot of, my energy levels have been largely unaffected and I sleep fine. Like an idiot I surfed the net looking for answers and made the massive mistake of coming across Fibromyalgia. I then started noticing more and more slight cramps in hands and odd pains, aching mainly in arms but sometimes legs and on surfaces of hands and feet. I panicked and went to my doctor. He said in his opinion after being not right for 3 months if I had Fibro I would have a lot of pain over the whole body and he didn’t think I had it. For a few days this reassured me then I started worrying again, taking notice of every single odd sensation. A week later I was back at the doctor who prescribed me anti depressants to help with the anxiety, saying that some symptoms may be anxiety related and it may help with the dizziness. He also said Fibro was unlikely. A week later I am still scared out of my mind about Fibro. The dizzy feeling is the worst and makes me feel panicky and as if I’m not really here/detached. I am going to work but not anything else I used to do. I am constantly worried and panicky and terrified that I have Fibro or will be stuck like this forever. In terms of pain there hasn’t been anything I would take painkillers for, it is occasional slight ache in arms lasting maybe an hour and odd pains in various places lasting maybe a few minutes or sometimes seconds (normally small areas like a small patch on my leg or back of a finger). When this happens it doesn’t hurt when I press the area. It often feels like it is near the surface of the skin. Moving about doesn’t hurt and I don’t have joint pain or any stiffness or bodywide pain, just these odd things that come and go. If anyone out there has any ideas I would really appreciate your input. Does this sound like Fibro? Are my doctors right in saying after 3 months it would be very severe? Is there anything else this could be/anything else i should be tested for? Should I ask for a referral to someone who specilises in this? I need a way of putting an end to my worry, I have become very depressed /stressed out with this to the point where I feel like I am going mad and it has completely taken over my life.  I might also add that for some time before all this started I felt generally a bit run down/couldn’t be bothered to do things/easily stressed out/difficulty concentrating, general depression symptoms although no real physical problems. I don’t know if that is connected to this or not.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.
If you do have fibro it is NOT a death sentence....

Fibro does not follow certain symptoms. Fibro is pretty much unknown medical reason (that doctors can't find) for pain. Everyone is different in how they react to pain. What I consider a 2, you may consider a 10. Fibro can be on one particular part, or can be all over the body. No one knows, but most people have wide body pain.

There are a lot of ways to help managee Fibro, you & your doctor just have to find the right combination that helps you.

I think you are making yourself have more physical pain because you are stressing/worried about it. Talk to your doctor.
Fibro is NOT a death sentence & won't kill you like other illnesses or diseases. Fibro is pretty much your body becoming sensitive to pain.