Fibromyalgia Community
ITCHY RASH ON HANDS????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

ITCHY RASH ON HANDS????

Hi Everybody,
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.
I've started suffering with very itching skin on the palms of my hands, its started with a rash, similar to a nettle rash, kind of little tiny lumps all over the palms of my hands, in-between my fingers and just over the tops of my fingers on the outer side, it itches like mad and if i scratch it, it goes red, sore and dry like eczema. I've been suffering with Fibromyalgia for supposedly 3yrs but only recently been diagnosed last June 09, so I'm quite new to all this, especially the skin conditions that go with it. I also have a skin rash which is different to the one on my hands, this is around my neck, shoulders and slightly on my chest, this one looks more like eczema, when I'm hot it flairs up and goes all bright red, which is soo embarrassing when I'm out.
If anyone is suffering with or who knows of this rash, would you plz help me, its really distressing me. I'm feeling very low as it is, and this is making matters a lot worse.
I have never had any skin conditions, my skin is kind of Mediterranean, oily/normal, not the type that would normaly suffer with skin conditions, I was 46 on the 5th May, so I feel I'm a bit old really to start with skin problems!!! HELP PLZ=0(
just wanting to mention: household cleaning agents, paints, solvent things, chemicals, manicure things, gloves, something you're in contact with? - if you haven't already excluded these already...
hope you can get some relief soon
does this kind of thing happen to people with fibromyalgia??
Ive already through your list and more.
Thankyou for your advise.
Its making me even more depressed than ever.
Kind Regards
Ja(",)xXx
Sounds similar to what I have on the palms of my hands and hips.  Doc told me it was a form of eczema.  I have a steroid cream I use to clear it up quickly.  look up Dyshidrotic Eczema.   I don't think it is really related to fibro.
Hi, Spreading the word about Lyme. Lyme is a great immitator of many diseases including Fibro/CFS.. another disease it immitates is: Lupus, Read about lupus and rashes. Never know.. you could have lyme?????

I dont know what your other symptoms are but mine are:

Fatigue (EXTREME)
Muscle Twitching
Dizziness/Vertigo
Headaches/Migranes
Brain Fog/Confusion/Difficulty concentrating
Visual Problems (visual snow, vitreous floaters, red eyes, flashes, etc)
Depression
Continuos Infections (sinus,chest, ect.)
Hi Babes,
Thankyou for replying,
I've been diagnoised with Fibromyalgia and tick all the boxes for this condition, but i've read quite alot about Lyme and tick some of the boes, I've read some about Lupus and tick some of the boxes for that condition also, i dont know, i seem to tick all the boxes for Fibromyalgia except Migraines, i have headaches but ther not migraines, my friend suffers with those and she's not good when she has one, i'm not like that. With the other 2 conditions Lyme & Lupus i only tick some of them, so i really dont know what it is, its just ive never in my life of 46yrs suffered with any kind of skin problem, except for now. I'm sorry your suffering and i'm with you on that without a doubt. life isn't good as it is, and then thers sumthin else that adds to the pain, confusion, depression and fibrofog. I feel for us all, i really do, and i feel it's very unfair for us to have to suffer like we do. i will be wearing purple tomorrorow, well its today, its 1am where i am in England.
Thankyou and take care!
Jax(",)xXx
What type of doctor diagnosed your Fibro? Was it a Rheumatologist? Usually a Rheumy will do a complete blood work up and test you for inflammatory arthritic conditions such as Lupus. Most of the time they won't test you for Lyme though. It sounds a little like Lupus, Lyme OR it could even be Scabies. How long has this been going on for??? So what I would do is find out if you were tested for Lupus and ask to be evaluated for Scabies or any other type of dermatitis type of condition just to rule it out. Let us know what happens. Good Luck.
-Dusty
Do you find that it itches worse at night?
Hi babes I'm sorry for not getting straight back to you, I've been really rough and not on med-help.
I definitely feel its worse at night. have you experienced this?
Thank You for answering to my Dilemma!
Jax(",)xXx  
Hi, I have been suffering with a rash on my hands, mine comes up like little blisters, which only itch if they pop.  I've narrowed it down to a change in shampoo, I brought a new one, which had coconut in it.  It would appear I'm sensitive to anything with coconut in, as I bought a couple of shower gels and I react the same to them.  I've also had to swap my breakfast cereal as that contains coconut too!.

Anyway, have you been doing anything different, or perhaps like me, used something new?

I find a mild hydrocortisone ointment and plenty of emoillents help, particularly before bed - I also suffer with dry itchy eczema too, so this helps with that.

Hope you feel better soon. x
I have been battling contact dermatitis for over a year now and the last 8 weeks have been the worst. I have small and large blisters all over my hands and now my feet. My skin is red and swollen and using my hands is very painful. This itching is INCREDIBLE.I also recently got a rash all over my body in a reaction to the dermatitis. I was told to do 'wet wraps' on my hands with Elocon cream which initially worked on the blisters that were already there, then new ones appeared. I looks like dermatitis 'travels' all over your hands. I then had a course of Prednisolone tablets for 15 days which calmed it down...meanwhile I have tried Celestone cream .02%, Becoderm-C flare-up, Pure aloeVera juice from a plant, Cetaphil Hydrating lotion and the list goes on. I even changed all my personal products to 'soap-free' products. The specialist told me not to over-do the hand washing and to continually apply hand lotion to restore the skin barrier which has been destroyed by the dermatitis. I was at my wits end when I got onto this forum. I read that the Pepsodent toothpaste is the go, howver I am in Australia and I cant get it here so I have ordered it on-line from the US. It will be in the 'snail-mail' and arrive in 3 weeks time. If you are a sufferer you will simpathise with me when I say THIS IS TOO LONG!.,meanwhile, a mortician friend of mine consulted the resident chemist who has advised me to try this (and Im happy to share this with you)..........****MIX ASPRO CLEAR IN MILK (not too much milk) MAKE A PASTE AND APPLY ALL OVER AFFECTED AREA**** Im trying it now......It really stings on the open sores and cuts, but it soon settles.  The chemist swears completely gone within 2 weeks....Im trying it now.....If you decide to try it, let me know how you went.....
I concur with the Lyme syspicion particuarly with the rash. THese could be co-infections like Babesia or Bartonella:

Here is the comlete list of lyme symptoms.  If you have more than 20, strongly syspect LYme and get evaluated by an LLMD pronto:

Many Lyme patients were firstly diagnosed with other illnesses such as Juvenile Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Reactive Arthritis, Infectious Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia, Raynaud's Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Interstitial Cystis, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Fifth Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, scleroderma, lupus, early ALS, early Alzheimers Disease, crohn's disease, ménières syndrome, reynaud's syndrome, sjogren's syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, prostatitis, psychiatric disorders (bipolar, depression, etc.), encephalitis, sleep disorders, thyroid disease and various other illnesses. see Other Diseases and Lyme...Relationship

If you have received one of these diagnoses please scroll down and see if you recognize a broader range of symptoms.

If you are a doctor please re-examine these diagnoses, incorporating Lyme in the differential diagnoses.

The one common thread with Lyme Disease is the number of systems affected (brain, central nervous system, autonomic nervous system, cardiovascular, digestive, respiratory, musco-skeletal, etc.) and sometimes the hourly/daily/weekly/monthly changing of symptoms.

No one will have all symptoms but if many are present serious consideration must be given by any physician to Lyme as the possible culprit. Lyme is endemic in Canada period. The infection rate with Lyme in the tick population is exploding in North America and as the earth's temperature warms this trend is expected to continue.

Symptoms may come and go in varying degrees with fluctuation from one symptom to another. There may be a period of what feels like remission only to be followed by another onset of symptoms.

Free Canadian Lyme Disease Brochure (a computer file for you to print)

PRINT AND CIRCLE ALL YES ANSWERS ( 20 yes represents a serious potential and Lyme should be included in diagnostic workup )
Symptoms of Lyme Disease
The Tick Bite (fewer than 50% recall a tick bite or get/see the rash)
Rash at site of bite
Rashes on other parts of your body
Rash basically circular, oval and spreading out (more generalized)
Raised rash, disappearing and recurring

Head, Face, Neck

Unexplained hair loss
Headache, mild or severe, Seizures
Pressure in head, white matter lesions in brain (MRI)
Twitching of facial or other muscles
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy, Horner's syndrome)
Tingling of nose, (tip of) tongue, cheek or facial flushing
Stiff or painful neck
Jaw pain or stiffness
Dental problems (unexplained)
Sore throat, clearing throat a lot, phlegm ( flem (phlegm) ), hoarseness, runny nose

Eyes/Vision

Double or blurry vision
Increased floating spots
Pain in eyes, or swelling around eyes
Oversensitivity to light
Flashing lights/Peripheral waves/phantom images in corner of eyes

Ears/Hearing

Decreased hearing in one or both ears, plugged ears
Buzzing in ears
Pain in ears, oversensitivity to sounds
Ringing in one or both ears

Digestive and Excretory Systems

Diarrhea
Constipation
Irritable bladder (trouble starting, stopping) or Interstitial cystitis
Upset stomach (nausea or pain) or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)

Musculoskeletal System

Bone pain, joint pain or swelling, carpal tunnel syndrome
Stiffness of joints, back, neck, tennis elbow
Muscle pain or cramps, (Fibromyalgia)

Respiratory and Circulatory Systems

Shortness of breath, can't get full/satisfying breath, cough
Chest pain or rib soreness
Night sweats or unexplained chills
Heart palpitations or extra beats
Endocarditis, Heart blockage

Neurologic System

Tremors or unexplained shaking
Burning or stabbing sensations in the body
Fatigue, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Weakness, peripheral neuropathy or partial paralysis
Pressure in the head
Numbness in body, tingling, pinpricks
Poor balance, dizziness, difficulty walking
Increased motion sickness
Lightheadedness, wooziness

Psychological well-being

Mood swings, irritability, bi-polar disorder
Unusual depression
Disorientation (getting or feeling lost)
Feeling as if you are losing your mind
Over-emotional reactions, crying easily
Too much sleep, or insomnia
Difficulty falling or staying asleep
Narcolepsy, sleep apnea
Panic attacks, anxiety

Mental Capability

Memory loss (short or long term)
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration or reading
Going to the wrong place
Speech difficulty (slurred or slow)
Stammering speech
Forgetting how to perform simple tasks

Reproduction and Sexuality

Loss of sex drive
Sexual dysfunction
Unexplained menstral pain, irregularity
Unexplained breast pain, discharge
Testicular or pelvic pain

General Well-being

Phantom smells
Unexplained weight gain, loss
Extreme fatigue
Swollen glands/lymph nodes
Unexplained fevers (high or low grade)
Continual infections (sinus, kidney, eye, etc.)
Symptoms seem to change, come and go
Pain migrates (moves) to different body parts
Early on, experienced a "flu-like" illness, after which you have not since felt well.
Low body temperature

Allergies/Chemical sensitivities

Increased effect from alcohol and possible worse hangover
I wonder if you're allergic to metal like nickel or chromium.  It's in the zippers, rivets, door latch, stainless steel, razor blades and more.  You're touching metals all day long.  I had similar problem that turned out to be a metal allergy.  Cocoa and shea butter soaps help build up lipids.  Also, First Aide Beauty products and Neutragena hand cream helps.    
I found a website about eczema that explained that it not only matters what you come into contact with, but it matters what you eat with Dyshidrotic Eczema, which is the kind I have.  Oddly enough, the things that usually irritate this subtype of eczema are also on the list for Tyramine Intolerance.  Information I read about Tyramine Intolerance links it to not only migraines but to IBS, so it is worth looking up Tyramine Intolerance, too.  I mentioned this, since so many with FMS also have migraines and IBS.
Hi Everyone,

I also have a rash on my hands, top crease of bottom, and the nape of neck. I first noticed it when I used a nail glue for glue of tips, but now I have stopped using tips & that glue and its still happening. I do still use acrylic nails and gel overlay so maybe they are just as bad? Not really sure.
It may also be a nickel allergy or something to do with my hormones being imbalanced as I am also menopausal. It started on the nape of my neck - which I thought was caused by hair dye, then after the glue got on my fingers, a rash went all over the palms of my hands and then I discovered the itch at the top crease of my bottom. The palms of my hands are really red - itchy and cracked and will even bleed. I have used cortisone crms - had a blood test and RAST allergy test - and yet no signs of anything as yet. I have done a skin scraping and I am going to the Dr AGAIN today to see what that result is! I cant stand this - its driving me nuts !!!! _If anyone has a cure or idea - please share... Someone saod milk mixed with aspro and it will go within a 2 weeks... im trying that too now! Tkd Donna