Fibromyalgia Community
Medical error causing fibromyalgia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Medical error causing fibromyalgia

Interventional cardiologist implanted bare-metal stint and damaged nerves in my right leg, causing paralysis and EXTREME PAIN.  Unable to walk 16 months later and confined to bed, I am seeking help, needless to say.  Doctors and physicians want to perform tests and they are aware that I am unemployed and uninsured.  (I worked for an insurance company for over 30 years, stopped drinking the "Company Kool-Aid" and was unjustly terminated. Now, I face medical bills in excess of $300,000 USD. Back to fibromyalgia.  My right leg is paralyzed and my groin and leg has NO FEELING, NOT EXCLUDING PAINFUL TO TOUCH.  Where does someone like me go for help and treatment?  
Hey Checkmate, welcome to the forum.

It's a tough situation to be in. Did this stint implant take place while you were still employed?
At any rate, you may have signed a medical waiver, before this procedure,
however it does not exempt the interventional cardiologist from being liable
in the event of negligence. IF you feel that he was indeed responsible for the nerve damage, perhaps you should be talking to a lawyer who would take on your case on  a contingency fee arrangement.
And while you're at it, you can explore with him/her the possibility of the wrongful employment termination.
My knowledge in legal matters is limited and my advice is based on common sense, but I think my suggestion is worth looking into.
If this  procedure took place while you were still employed, your employer
is definitely NOT off the hook. It would seem rather suspicious regardless, after all these years to terminate your employment for such a reason.
Again, I can only go by what you  mentioned in your post.

As for treatment, you need to ask at your local public health department
for advice on what is available to you, under your present circumstances.
Obviously, you were originally accepted to have this procedure done,so
there must be a plan in place to provide follow up testing and treatment in light of  all the complications following the procedure.

It is a disgrace to my opinion, to treat  people like this, leaving them hanging in limbo, suffering and without any financial resources.
Are you living in the USA?

Medically, you are probably dealing with two distinct yet interlinked conditions. One for sure the nerve damage in your right leg.
The other one which may or may not be fibromyalgia, if it does not meet the FMS criteria, nonetheless, it could be something like PTSD with many possible symptoms, some resembling fibromyalgia and of course with a significant psychological impact due to all the stress and anxiety, not being able to walk, not being able to work and perhaps the worse is the insecurity of NOT KNOWING what and how this will resolve!

I feel for you my friend and I hope you stay strong so you can pursue
whatever is available to you the best possible way.

Best wishes.
Love & Light
Niko