Fibromyalgia Community
swelling w/ fibro normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

swelling w/ fibro normal?

Hello I was diagnosed with fibro about 6 mths ago & about 2 weeks ago my left hip, knee & both feet have started swelling really bad. It's causing a lot of pain & have actually had to call into work bc I couldn't stand on my feet.

My question is this normal it should I be check for something else?  
Hi.
As much as you feel it is difficult to stay active, you need to, even if it is
on a recumbent bike, or just gently bouncing (no jumping necessary)
on a mini trampoline or a slow paced walk. Short courses of activity
multiple times daily are preferred for this.
Activity engages the lymphatic system, which becomes sluggish
in periods of inactivity and may promote lymphedema easily,specially when other factors coincide, such as inefficient breathing and inadequate hydration.
So please visit the normal breathing website for details, so you can engage your thorax- a vital part of your lymphatic system- through proper breathing.
Also make sure you stay hydrated by drinking adequate spring or filtered
water 1H away from meals, throughout the day. When one starts to become dehydrated there's a mechanism in the body that retains
fluids, thus contributing to swelling.
Finally, if these suggestions work within the next couple of weeks,
please have your potassium and sodium levels and ratio checked by your doctor, as these 2 are responsible for intracellular and extracellular fluid
regulation.
Hope this helps.pm me if you need more details
Wishing you well.
Cheers!
Niko

Thx. Will try those I drink water non stop already but I do have periods of inactivity went from working 40+ hrs to none for a few months & I've worked back up to 20 hrs a week. Thx for info
Great advice from Niko.  It is common to get swelling, especially in your feet, ankles and hands with fibro and it can often be related to the drugs we take - i.e., depression meds, Lyrica, etc.  I have to take a water pill daily to manage mine.  I have recently joined a gymn and am increasing my activity slowly.  I am hoping it helps.  Do ensure you get yourself checked by a doctor though just to be sure.