weight gain with Lyrica
Hello, I am a 38 year old positive minded woman. I have fibromyalgia and chronic bi lateral foot pain. My doc put me on Lyrica(and other drugs) and it works really well. It has helped decrease all my symptoms by about 60%. The problem is I have put on an excessive amount of weight and still continue to do so. The weight gain is now causing me other health problems. I have had no increased appetite. My doc does not believe this is possible. In the past I have read of the reasons a drug can do this. Can you explain it to me so I can then relate it to my doc. I have heard Topamax will help curb this weight gain and help with overall weight loss. Is this true?  Do you have any relavent info for me?
Lyrica does have weight gain as one of its side-effects.  Why you would be gaining, without having eaten more, is something I can't answer.  Perhaps it's more what you are eating than the amount of eating.  Sorry that I can't be of more help in this area.  You may check with your pharmacist as they have much knowledge about drugs and their interactions.

I have not heard of anyone taking Topamax to contradict weight gain from Lyrica.  Topamax is used to treat seizures and can cause anorexia (considered an adverse side-effect).  Here are the interactions that may be of concern while taking these two medications together.  

http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

"Topamax (topiramate) and lyrica (pregabalin) (Moderate Drug-Drug)

MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities."

Take care and please be safe.