GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication

I wonder if anyone has had the procedure TIF.  I am thinking of having it done.  This procedure is done with a tube through the mouth.  I am wondering about which surgery is the best...incision or incisionless.  Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had the procedure done.
HI...have not heard of this procedure and would love to know a bit more.....looking to see if u get ne first hand experiences to comment.

Good luck and if u do have this please post updates

"selma"
I went to a seminar about this procedure.  The doctors had only done three so I am a little hesitant about it.  They said that if you have a large hiatal hernia the operation cannot be done on you.  Surprisingly enough I have had no other comments other than yours.  I am in process of making another appointment to have a scope done.  I do not wish to live on pills for my condition and that is why I am looking for surgery alternatives.
Well Judy....I hope u find ur answers....and I agree about not wanting to take pills all the time.Diet and lifestyle changes are very important and can help.Weight loss, which right now is one of my goals....and is slow to see progress bcuz of recent surgery for a diff condition.

Please keep me posted on how u make out with the next test

"selma"
I haven't had my scope done yet because doctor's office has not returned call to set up appointment for it.  I came upon another procedure which I do not know anything about.  It is called the Stretta procedure.  Have you ever heard of it or know anything about it?  Does anyone else out there know anything about it or had it done?
I looked it up and found the following :

The Stretta Procedure to Treat Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
The Stretta procedure is a minimally invasive, non-surgical way to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD. The procedure is performed using an endoscope (a thin, flexible, lighted tube which is passed down the throat into the esophagus), involves no cutting or sewing, and leaves no skin incisions or scars.

The procedure can be performed as an outpatient. Patients typically return to normal activities the following day.

Here's how it works:

The Stretta device is a thin tube, or catheter, with a balloon at the end. With the patient conscious but under heavy sedation, the catheter is guided through the endoscope which is placed in the esophagus just above the stomach. There the balloon is inflated, exposing four sharp probes on the outside of the balloon. The probes then discharge high-frequency radio waves into the muscle at the top of the stomach which is called the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). After several rounds of this process, the LES -- which is too loose in GERD patients -- becomes much tighter. Tightening the LES keeps stomach acid from splashing up into the esophagus.

How Much Does the Stretta Procedure Improve GERD Symptoms?
At least one study has shown that one year after undergoing the Stretta procedure, nearly two-thirds of the patients were able to stop taking all of their acid-blocking medicines. Overall, the patients reported feeling significantly better six months after treatment -- and even better at the 12-month mark.

Individual results may vary and the long term benefits are uncertain. This procedure is also not without risk; there is potential for serious complications.

Other Options for GERD Treatment
A less invasive option for treating GERD without medication includes endoscopic sutures (stitches). The FDA approved this procedure based on its safety but was unsure of its effectiveness. Other techniques are now in clinical trials.

Reviewed by the doctors at The Cleveland Clinic Department of Gastroenterology & Hepatology.
I just had the TIF procedure preformed 2 weeks ago.  I have had GERD for 30 years.  I had damage throughout my esophagus, on my vocal cords, and in my mouth.  These last two weeks are the first time I have ever known what it is like to be normal.  I hope as I am slowly adding foods back into my diet (you have a post op diet to protect the new "valve") that my result remain this wonderful.  If you have any questions about the procedure or post op, let me know.  I want everyone who suffers to feel as good as I do now.
HI and welcome to the GERD forum.

Thanks for sharing ur experience : )

"selma"
I sent you a message, please read it and reply.
Thank you,
Joe
I had this Tif surgery done in Sept 2010 a month later have had nothing but problems.
They don’t tell you that this procedure can and will cause unbelievable pain in the chest and up into the neck. Making you feel like you are having a heart attic.
One month and two weeks and still have a lot of pain and gas pressure.
This procedure did not work for me even though i just had mild reflux/gerd.
I don’t think this procedure works as well as they claim it does. And I have never read anything about the complication of this procedure.
Also after 6 weeks I still am unable to eat solid food without pain.
I tried a salad the other day and it sent me to the ER.
So if you are thinking about having the TIF surgery you need to be repaired that it can actually make things worse and even ten times more painful than you symptoms are now.
Try and find all the information you can before you have this procedure. You wont find anything where folks are having complications with this procedure.
I hope you better luck with it than I have had.
I cant even get the surgeon that did the procedure to see me.
Here is a link to the clinical study of the first 84 patients:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2490723/

I'm in the evaluation stage for this procedure.  Hope this helps.
Hi, I have had three nissan fundoplications for gerd reflux and heartburn, two nissen and one open October 2010. Just found out the last has also failed. I live near Sacramento and now have to go to San Francisco for the same surgery you had. I am freaking about it, not only is it 100 friggin miles away and my husband needs to drive me, take off tons of time off work but I hate the thoughts of this surgery. I am wondering how you are doing now. Did you have the clips put in, the little plastic clips like in this surgery video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXS4jHCWNvo
or did you have some other procedure done. I am so ticked off that all three have failed, my surgeon is five miles away as is my hospital, now I have to travel so far and stay in a strange place, I just hate this. Thanks for updating me on how you are doing.
Following the TIF procedure, you must follow the recommended diet faithfully.  Eating a salad after only one month is a "no no".  I had my TIF surgery on June 22, 2011 and am still following my diet closely.  I am looking forward to week 8 when I will slowly add meat, bread, fresh fruit and vegetables.   I am tired of eating fish, but so far that is the only "meat" that I am allowed with cooked fruit and cooked vegetables.  I am a young 67 years old and have had only one episode of heart burn since the surgery.  It's a matter of following the doctor's orders.  You MUST STICK TO THE DIET !  I have more energy and am glad not to have  gerd and upchucks any more.  
So glad the procedure worked for you. My new surgeon says no to this one. I am to have a Belsey Fundoplication as the three failed have caused so much scar tissue that is my only other option. I too am a young 60 and hate my bedtime snack and breakfast are heartburn medications. Not much I can find on this procedure at all except I am going to be in super major pain for a long time afterwards and not looking forward to it at all, it will be away from home with a two week hospital stay probably they said. Urrrrrrr.
I'm sorry that your fundoplications have failed. I was fortunate that the TIF was successful - but as I stated, I am following the diet as closely as possible as I don't want any complications.  The first two weeks of the diet were especially hard for me as I am allergic to yogurt - and have to take Lactaid before I eat cottage cheese.  These last couple of weeks have been difficult as I really don't care for fish and it's the only meat allowed.  Please follow the diet closely when you have your surgery.  I still will not be allowed to eat cabbage, asparagus, pineapple, onions, broccoli, or beans after the 8 weeks.  Perhaps after the 12 weeks, I will be able to.  I am at week 6.  I was number 22 to have this surgery.
Wow 22nd one to have it, still too new for me to want to have it. I also had an 8 week diet I followed faithfully for all three fundos. I hate jello pudding yogurt cottage cheese so basically almost starved on it. Aug 18th I have an esophagel mannomtry, have you had one and how did it go.New surgeon said that was first test that should have been done before even a first fundo. Glad you are doing well
How do you feel about TIF procedure now, after one year?
I am having the TIF procedure done in less than a month and I was wondering if anyone else who had this done also had IBS?  My gastroenterologist warned me this procedure may make the IBS problems worse but I cant wait on the TIF anymore because my esophagus is so badly worn down.
hello...im dax from the philippines and im suffering from gerd for almost 10years but for the past 8 years it was just mild...unlike this last 2 years that it became worst...im asking help whether what country near the philippines are offering this TIF procedure or is this available in the philippines and also how much is the cost of this operation?

I'm hoping your helpful reply:)
I am scheduled for a fourth fundopliction in a few months. My surgeons both told me never to do the TIF as it is too new, not enough done and a lot of recalls on it. Of course having a fourth fundoplication of any kind of no fun at all either but three surgeons have told me the outcomes of the TIF are terrible
How much does it cost for the tif procedure?

Hi, u would have to check with ur Dr, each area will be diff...so it is hard to say, plus if u have ins it may cover it....talk with ur Dr to see what the cost is in ur  area.

Good luck and do post an update
It has been recommended that I have the TIF procedure    after my most recent endoscopy.  I have a hiatal hernia <2cm, choking, chronic regurgitation which has led me to having a very deep hoarse voice, and tons of pain.  This kinda seems to be the end of the road with me - I have to do something.  I wake up in the middle of the night after reguritated my dinner then choke on that.  Is anyone sorry they did it?  What kind of diet do you need to be on?
I just had the procedure (2 days ago). No problems other than occasional pain when drinking. I am on a clear liquid diet for two weeks (thank god for ensure clear). What did you eat and when did you first eat it after the procedure.
Well, it's been over a year since I had my TIF.  And I am in pain!!!  Every evening without fail I have the same pain I had before the surgery.  I was hoping to stay away from Prilosec - but looks like I'll be taking it forever.   The only thing different is that I am not upchucking and the heartburn doesn't come up into my throat or mouth.  But, that pain at the mouth of my stomach is there every evening.  If your GERD or Reflux is extreme, you might want to consider surgery.... but remember it isn't a cure.  I see that some have had several
Oooops!  continued:  several fundiplications!  Does that mean it  doesn't "take"?  I don't want to go through that again!
     Here I am again.  I had the TIF done again just a week ago.  In June of this year I fell and broke my ribs and pulled 3/4 of the fundo loose.  :(   I am not happy about this.
    My CT scan and endoscopy showed that my esophagus had eroded terribly and something had to be done.  I was taking Dexilant (next after Nexium) every day.  
    I am in a lot of pain as it's only been a week and I had forgotten how much it makes your right shoulder hurt - like gallbladder issues.
    I am taking good care of myself and will not go through this again!  It takes too long to heal (8-12 weeks of dieting)!  
     I wish I had heard of the Stretta before having this done again.  
     What I hate is the doctor's attitude - "You'll be just fine."   They have no idea what this pain is like!
Hello and I am sorry about your pain. I had the TIF done August 2011. It has done pretty good up to about 2 months ago. Now I have the same issues I has before. Heartburn, sleepless nights and have to sit up often. You had mentioned Strella. What is the difference and success rate?
    I don't remember what the Stretta fundo is about.  Just that it is laproscopic surgery and supposedly faster healing than the TIF.
    I am at week 3 and doing okay this time.  The surgeon said they put in extra "clips".   He also said that if some of the clips come loose, they can go back in and repair the damage rather than doing the whole thing over again.   However, you have to start the diet all over again...  not fun.
    I was number 22 for the TIF.  I was born without an LES muscle - so suffered all my life from GERD and heartburn.   At present I am doing fine, however, I find that taking enzymes helps a lot.
     You might want to get some Gluten Cutter from Walmart.  It contains over 10 different enzymes including the ones in "Beano" and "Lactaid" (but not their brand names).   I won't go without my Gluten Cutter -  works better than any PPI !

I hope this info. helps you.  Been there, done that.
Wishing you a good outcome
   Whoops!  I just found that the Stretta procedure is very different... they zap the LES muscle until it tightens.
Are you still doing well since your surgery in 2010?  Are you having any problems with GERD now?
  Hello Mary,  I am not Urbis.  I am Silverfox.  I had the TIF done for the second time in 2013.  It took this time.  I hardly ever get any GERD or heartburn now.  Once in a while I do, if I eat too much fried food.  Otherwise, I eat lots of vegetables, raw and cooked, beans, meat etc. and do okay.

I had onion rings at lunch - so will take some enzymes to help my stomach digest that....  Enzymes help ALOT!!!

Wishing you the best