Vagus Nerve and Fundoplication
Hi Doc,
I'm a 19 year old male, currently with mild acid reflux.  I had a fundoplication about 10 years, but the reflux returned about 3 years ago.  To the point: I was out with friends a few nights ago for some drinks.  We were sitting at our table for only a few minutes when I started to feel warm, so I excused myself to go to the restroom.  I began to feel lightheaded while walking there and then bam, I wake up on the floor covered in sweat.  Apparently I just passed out without warning.  Then, when I tried to get up I lost consciousness again.  After a few minutes I recovered and was fine.  This past summer a similar incident occurred as well.  I remembered having similar episodes as a child, usually after a shot, and was told it is from a vasovagal response.  Over the past year or so, standing quickly occasionally causes me to become lightheaded and dizzy.  Could this all be caused by a vasovagal response?  Is there any chance that, having had a fundoplication, I am at a higher risk to feinting caused by vasovagal response?

Hi....there r no Drs in this forum, this is support only....at this time there are no expert forums for this topic....

I would strongly suggest u go to a Dr and see what might be the issue I would think since u had episodes b4 surgery this is not a result of having surgery, but may be something that may flare or cycle....it could be a form of Autonomic Dysfunction....

Do seek a medical professional and let us know what u find out

Good luck

Had you had dry chips, or some bread?  My son has issues with the same problem, but hasn't had a NF proceedure.  Usually if the nerve was involved you would know so very quickly after the procedure.

The Vasovagal nerve can cause a whole lot of issues, in my opinion.  As mentioned, my son ate too large of a dry role and passed out in a restaurant as you did.  My daughter fell off a stage when in high school during a play, and her spleen leaked on to her vasolvagal nerve, causing intense pain to her neck and created a complex diagnosis.  I have a heart pacemaker, and am told when they check it the reason I burb is because the electric wires running to my heart are located very close to the vagal nerve.
As Selma suggests, I'd have this checked.  I've had the NF procedure as well, but think that isn't the cause.  Keep us informed.  
Hi Rob,

You might want to consider POTS or cardiac arrhythmia that strikes when you are standing.  A TILT test at a Cardio's Office can clear that up for you.

Hope you get it sorted soon.