Gastroenterology Community
2 ERCPs and still no relief

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

2 ERCPs and still no relief

I have had my gallbladder removed over 12 years ago.  3 years ago I had what felt like another gallbladder attach.  They did blood test, liver biobsy and my liver functions came back normal, but I was still having pain.  They decided to do an ERCP.  I was in severe pain afterwards but fine after a couple of days.  3 years later (this year) I had another really bad attach, with many many multiple attacked in the past few months before, they decided to do another ERCP.  On both ERCPs they have found gall stones.  After this last ERCP I thought everything would be good again for atleast another 3 years.  I was wrong, not even 3 months and the pain is randomly back again.  I called the Dr.  he ran some more blood test and my test all came back normal.  He told me to call him if it happens again. If I did that I would be calling him every month at least.  I feel like he doesn't believe me, but he is a good Dr. when it comes to the procedures.  I take 2 Protonix a day, some days it works, lately it hasn't been working and the attacks are getting more frequent again and more severe again.  I don't know what to do.  I am so frustrated and just want to feel normal again.  What should I do???
If your doc isn't a specialist in SOD (Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction) find one that is. There's a good group in Indiana and a couple of other places in the country. There are some meds that can be tried, but typical docs or even GI docs aren't very familiar with the problem. Make sure you're also following a low fat diet and staying very hydrated. If you're female and on hormones, consider talking to your doc about another form of birth control or other ways of non-hormonal intake.
Can you tell me what you know about hormones possibly having to do with this?  I have been told about SOD and possibly having to go to Indiana to a specialist, but he (my dr. GI) hasn't said anymore about it since the first time I had an ERCP.  I am on hormones so I am just curious what they have in common with this.

Hormones can impact the contractility of the structures in the bilary system as well as many parts of the GI system. For some they can result in spasms.