Gastroenterology Community
Biopsy results

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Biopsy results

I have a three year old...for the last 2 years she has had a few different test done because of frequent and recurring diarrhea, acid reflux, not being able to eat, gas, and other things...back in feb 09 she had a upper and lower procedure done...the only thing they found was candida in the esophagus....they wanted to retest so in sept she had another upper procedure... they said that the candida was still there,...  this is my problem...I am not getting any answers from her doc...I requested pathology reports and the only thing that was on there was this....
ESOPHAGUS at 5 CM Above LES BIOPSY
Rare Eosinophils with Basal Cell Hyperplasia consistent with reflux (Grade lll)

Can anyone please help and explain this...when I looked it up online it something about needing a biopsy to see if the cells were benign....
Make an appt. to see her doctor again, and insist on having all this explained to you in layman's terms.  This is your child and they should have explained it in a way that you could understand.
I have made many apts..but I never see the doc...I always see the PA. I was told that she had the candida again but there is nothing in the report that says it is candida. The first procedure she had said she had a mild case of candida...someone please help.
Id go to another doctor and find out.
This biopsy is saying that there are cellular changes in the esophagus above the muscular sphincter leading into the stomach (LES - lower esophageal sphincter) that suggest she's refluxing acid into the stomach.

The thing I would question is the mention of rare eosinophils. In some cases, the appearance of some eosinophils may suggest the beginning of eosinophilic esophagitis which could signal allergic reactions that could mimic reflux issues. Eosinophils (in limited numbers) are found in all areas of the GI tract EXCEPT in the esophagus.

If this is the start of eosinophilic esophagitis, you've got to rule out all foods that could be causing the problem - and I do mean ALL of them.
Thank you so much...i still have not heard from doctor...I have made an apt with another doc! Once again thank you!