Gastroenterology Community
Concerned about impaction/obstruction

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Concerned about impaction/obstruction

Hi this is my first post on the site so hopefully I'm doing things correctly but apologies if not.  I'm hoping someone can help shed some light for me on the titled issue.  I had surgery at the beginning of the year for diagnostic purposes and since I've been unable to deficate properly.  This is now 12 weeks ago and I'm lucky if I can manage a raisin sized amount a day.  Last week things advanced and I had the most horrific back pain (still have) and my doctor decided it would be wise to be admitted for the back pain and obstruction as he thinks the nerves are being pinched but not specializing in this wants another opinion.  This all arranged I spent 24 hours in hospital to be "observed" and sent home (the whole episode was ridiculous tbh) as the doc in charge said i wasn't constipated as I'd had passed a raisin sized amount the day before.  So when apparently I was supposed to have an MRI to check my back, and find some relief of actually emptying, even though initially I thought everything was related to my bowel I'm now left very confused.  I'm waiting for the MRI still as I've been told its going to be sent to me as an appointment but with a high priority so no idea when that will be, however I still can't poop and feel totally rotten.

I'm just wondering if I am right in the assumption that just having a raisin motion once every other day at most is normal?  And whether I'm not actually bunged up as I have passed such a small amount?  I should add I'm also so bloated from not being able to empty my bowels that my waistline is distended past its usual amount by over 15cms.  I've constant sickly feeling and dizzyness, along with a miriade of other niggles.

If anyone can suggest anything other than increase fibre (I can't physically increase it anymore and am taking aloe vera gel and phsyllium husk suppliments on top of that, IBS recommended probiotics), I've been using laxido since post op to no avail (taking upto 8 on occasions with sheer will that they will work) which is the only reason I'm managing to pass anything at all I believe.

Thanks in advance
I would do a Fleet enema or suppository to get some relief.  Then start on a stool softener.  I'm a little confused by your post.  Where was your surgery exactly, and what were they looking for?  The amount of your BM's are not normal, and this needs to be addressed.  If you can give me a little more info as to what they think is wrong, and what they operated on, it would help.  Thanks.
Surgery was for endometrioisis which was found on the uterus ligaments, front and back of uterus and a cyst on right ovary.  These were all treated in Jan 2010 with diathermy.

On the enema front, my own doc has said this is pointless as there is no retention in the rectum, though not sure what a fleet is, I have previously tried an OTC suppository one.  Not afaik tried as stool softner but this is on the basis I have no idea what one is.

Thanks in advance.
You are obviously impacted, and an enema won't hurt if you're no impacted.  Fleet is an enema bought at the drugstore.  To be bloated is a very obvious sign that nothing is passing thru you......I'd find another doctor because this one hasn't a clue!  If there is no retention in the rectum then you are blocked further up.  You can also try a laxative to try and get things moving, but either way, this doctor is not doing you any good.