Gastroenterology Community
Dangers of gallstones

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Dangers of gallstones

Could you please tell me the risk of keeping gallstones instead of having surgery to remove them?  I am schelduled for surgery on July 8,however, I am scared to death to be under general anethesia.   I have had two c-sections and my husband says the risk for a c-section is greater than that of gallbladder removal.  Is this true?
Your husband's right. (As a man, I don't hear that nearly enough, so go ahead and read it out loud to your husband. I'm sure he'd appreciate it.) Risks in C-sections are greater than the risks in gallbladder surgery. Increased heartburn from gallstones can also cause slower digestion, leading to gastritis and inflammation of the esophagus if you also start feeling frequent heartburn.

Keeping stones in can cause some difficulty, one of the most severe being a sudden blockage of the passageway that gets bile from your gallbladder to your digestive tract. Of course, this depends on the size of the stones: large stones don't run that risk, but they do tend to cause pain.

If you do decide to keep your gallbladder, make sure to read up on ways in which to keep as healthy as possible.
Thank you!  I hope that you and my husband are right about a c-section being more risky.  I am just scared of being put under.  
I have ahd serious illness that i thought was flu like .
I had sever abdom inal pain and have been to 3 hospitals,they all say that my gaulbladder has to be removed cause i have multiple stones.
can you tell me is this as dangerous as what they say it is?
I do know that I have never had pain like this before.
        PLAESE GIVE SOME ADVICE CAUSE THE DR. SAY'S ITS LIFE THREATING!
                   THANK YOU,
                         OPAL