Gastroenterology Community
Gallbladder Removal - Smoking

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Gallbladder Removal - Smoking

I'm Male and 18

I'm going to be having a gallbladder removal soon, and I was wondering after I get it removed, will my smoking have any adverse effects in relation to that area of my body?
Anyone please?
Yes, it can.  Smoking slows down healing.  It decreases the the amount of oxygen getting to your cells...cells need oxygen in order to heal.  I had my gallbladder out a month and a half ago...and I smoke.  I've had alot of complications, but its not really related to the cigarette smoke.  If you have to smoke...just try to cut down after your surgery...at least for a week or so...give your body time to heal.  Hope this helps
Bump for more info
Anyone?
Dear Super,
I have a relative who is a two-pack-a-day smoker, had some of his colon taken out, and he had to quit smoking for a couple weeks after his operation, so the wound would heal.  It's just like the other poster said, smoking will reduce the oxygen that flows around in your blood, and you need that O2 to heal up right, otherwise you'll have bleeding and infection and what not.  Some docs won't even operate on a person unless they actually quit smoking for a couple weeks B4 the op, too, as well as the two weeks after.

But now, as far as smoking having some effect on your body after the gallbladder is GONE and you're healed, it will NOT have a bit of effect on it, and I'll tell you why.  My grandfather had his gallbladder out when he was in his 40s.  He smoked a pack a day his entire life, from his early teens on up into his 80s.  His smoking in no way affected anything about himself whatsoever, either before or after his gallbladder was taken out.  And he didn't die of smoking, either.  Liver disease got him.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say all this junk about smoking killing us is a bunch of hooey, particularly the second-hand info from blasting a thousand times more smoke onto poor rats in a tiny glass box for weeks on end.  And to think they're gonna keep people from smoking outdoors shows you how much anger people are just waiting to cut loose if given the opportunity to legally whine.  Somebody out there really hates the tobacco companies, is my view.  

Now, I myself got to where after smoking 30 years, I was finally coughing in a strangling sort of way, choking and hacking myself to death, so I quit for ten years.  Picked it back up, been at it again for two years and no coughing yet.  So, I reckon when the coughing starts again, I'll have to lay them down again.  So, could be that if you cough from your smoking, which I cannot imagine that you do at your age, it could rip stitches out and all that stuff.  

And of course, since I've been down the road you haven't been down yet, on smoking a long time and everything, even though I think people are getting a little too worked up about how bad it is, when you get older, you get to liking life a little better, and you might want to live longer, and when the congestion settles into your lungs, you'll wish you had never started smoking, so now is a good time to quit for good, if you have a mind to, because it's easier to quit now than later.

But basically, when they take out your gallbladder, you'll be laid up in the hospital for a couple days anyway, you won't be able to smoke, and will you ever be annoyed by that, but once you get out, if the doc says don't smoke for 10 days or whatever, then by golly do what he says.  Otherwise, you'll be right back in the hospital and won't be able to smoke all over again.  Just chew gum and keep some worry beads in your pocket.

I hope this finally answers all your questions.  And lest someone out there who lost a loved one to cigarette smoking, and takes offense to my layman's view of the poor health that comes from smoking, I'm just saying that while lung cancer can come from smoking, because you're burning up the lining of your breathing system, which invites cancer to settle in, there are plenty of folks who die of lung cancer who never had a cigarette in their life.  You're just more likely to have it from cigarettes.  

It's the DISEASE of cancer that is so dangerous.  And it is the NICOTINE in cigarettes that makes it so dang hard to quit.  But smokers will all agree that the tradeoff of being calmer and happier are worth the trouble of smoking.  And I might add that smoking has been going on ever since grass has growed on our green earth, and I have a right to my opinion, and I want this fellow to know that he ought not to stress out too much on this cigarette thing, but he is gonna have to suck it in and not smoke for a couple weeks, so he doesn't die of complications, that's all.  And I did tell him he could quit now if he wants to.... same with drinking, if you're young, clear up your bad habits now, study hard in school, and make some money so you'll be comfortable when you get old.
GG
Hi, I'm a 20 year old female, I'm actually getting my gall bladder removed tomorrow, I go for blood work at 9:30am and my surgery wont start til 12pm. I am a smoker and I've had maybe 5 or 6 smokes today. I'm worried my doctor will get mad that I smoked today and he will send me home. Do you think he will do that? Will my surgery be ok? I'm not going to smoke a few days after my surgery, but is it ok that I had some today? I'm kind of worried that my surgery wont go as well since I've had a few already today....my mom was telling me that if I smoke to close to my surgery time then it will be harder to get oxygen to my lungs, but since it will be like 15 hours since having a smoke I should be ok?
You have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2008. The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on. Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew. To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page. This will get your post the attention it deserves. Thank you.
I was wondering if I could smoke hookah it was 2 weeks and 3 days ago do you think it will be fine to smoke hookah ?
Someone answer fast please